Jul 18, 2014, 9:14 AM EST
Rockies owner Dick Monfort has had a good couple weeks of speaking his mind. He told one fan that he shouldn’t come to Rockies games if he didn’t like the product. He said that maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a team. Now, in response to a question about who was responsible for the Rockies’ poor season, Monfort named a name:
So, Monfort was asked, who is responsible for the Rockies’ 40-55 record this season, good for second-to-last place in the National League?
“You would have to say it’s Bill Geivett (Rockies assistant GM),” Monfort said. “He’s responsible for the major-league team.
Maybe that’s true — we have no idea whose ideas hold the most sway in Colorado — but I can’t remember when an owner or team president ever publicly held an exec responsible like this. I mean, other than when they’re actually fired, with said firing meaning to speak for itself.
Gotta feel good to be Geivett walking in to the office today, eh?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)