Jul 18, 2014, 9:14 AM EDT
Rockies owner Dick Monfort has had a good couple weeks of speaking his mind. He told one fan that he shouldn’t come to Rockies games if he didn’t like the product. He said that maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a team. Now, in response to a question about who was responsible for the Rockies’ poor season, Monfort named a name:
So, Monfort was asked, who is responsible for the Rockies’ 40-55 record this season, good for second-to-last place in the National League?
“You would have to say it’s Bill Geivett (Rockies assistant GM),” Monfort said. “He’s responsible for the major-league team.
Maybe that’s true — we have no idea whose ideas hold the most sway in Colorado — but I can’t remember when an owner or team president ever publicly held an exec responsible like this. I mean, other than when they’re actually fired, with said firing meaning to speak for itself.
Gotta feel good to be Geivett walking in to the office today, eh?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)