Jul 18, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
In the first inning of Friday’s Brewers-Nationals game, Anthony Rendon hit a grounder to short with Denard Span running from first on the pitch. Span beat the relay to second and was called safe, but Rendon was easily retired at first on the play.
At least, that’s how it seemed to go down.
After originally calling Span out, second base umpire Angel Campos changed his mind and ruled Span out, seemingly declaring that his popup slide interfered with Scooter Gennett‘s relay to first base. And he probably had a case… Span had no need to stand up as quickly as he did, and if he had actually forced Gennett to alter his throw in any way, interference would have made a ton of sense.
Span, though, didn’t get in the path of the ball. And Gennett had no problem completing the relay, as evidenced by the fact that Rendon was easily retired at first. So, with Span also out, the ruling on the field was that of a double play.
Of course, Matt Williams was none too happy with this. But there was nothing reviewable he could challenge. Fortunately, the umps got together to discuss things, and what ended up happening was that Span was still ruled out — unintentional interference being the official call — and Rendon was credited with first base, since Span’s interference created a deadball situation.
So, when all was said and done, the guy who was safe was out and the guy who was out was safe.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)