Jul 18, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Maybe this is all just a Boston thing, as the original report about Hamels maybe being available came from Nick Cafardo. There haven’t, to my knowledge, been any reports from Phillies-connected media that Hamels is on the block. And it makes sense for the Phillies to keep Hamels and build around him, even if they do become major sellers soon. Hamels is under contract through 2019 and he’s only 30. And the dude can still pitch: he has a 2.93 ERA so far this year.
As was reported last week, there are nine teams to which Hamels can be traded without his consent. But at the moment, it doesn’t appear as if the Phillies are at all interested in dealing him.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 85
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)