Jul 18, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Maybe this is all just a Boston thing, as the original report about Hamels maybe being available came from Nick Cafardo. There haven’t, to my knowledge, been any reports from Phillies-connected media that Hamels is on the block. And it makes sense for the Phillies to keep Hamels and build around him, even if they do become major sellers soon. Hamels is under contract through 2019 and he’s only 30. And the dude can still pitch: he has a 2.93 ERA so far this year.
As was reported last week, there are nine teams to which Hamels can be traded without his consent. But at the moment, it doesn’t appear as if the Phillies are at all interested in dealing him.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)