Jul 18, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Maybe this is all just a Boston thing, as the original report about Hamels maybe being available came from Nick Cafardo. There haven’t, to my knowledge, been any reports from Phillies-connected media that Hamels is on the block. And it makes sense for the Phillies to keep Hamels and build around him, even if they do become major sellers soon. Hamels is under contract through 2019 and he’s only 30. And the dude can still pitch: he has a 2.93 ERA so far this year.
As was reported last week, there are nine teams to which Hamels can be traded without his consent. But at the moment, it doesn’t appear as if the Phillies are at all interested in dealing him.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 0
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (95)