Jul 18, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
Maybe this is all just a Boston thing, as the original report about Hamels maybe being available came from Nick Cafardo. There haven’t, to my knowledge, been any reports from Phillies-connected media that Hamels is on the block. And it makes sense for the Phillies to keep Hamels and build around him, even if they do become major sellers soon. Hamels is under contract through 2019 and he’s only 30. And the dude can still pitch: he has a 2.93 ERA so far this year.
As was reported last week, there are nine teams to which Hamels can be traded without his consent. But at the moment, it doesn’t appear as if the Phillies are at all interested in dealing him.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)