Jul 18, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
Maybe this is all just a Boston thing, as the original report about Hamels maybe being available came from Nick Cafardo. There haven’t, to my knowledge, been any reports from Phillies-connected media that Hamels is on the block. And it makes sense for the Phillies to keep Hamels and build around him, even if they do become major sellers soon. Hamels is under contract through 2019 and he’s only 30. And the dude can still pitch: he has a 2.93 ERA so far this year.
As was reported last week, there are nine teams to which Hamels can be traded without his consent. But at the moment, it doesn’t appear as if the Phillies are at all interested in dealing him.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)