Jul 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
The Angels have made room for closer Huston Street on the roster by demoting DH C.J. Cron to Triple-A Salt Lake, Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports. Cron may not be down there for long, however. As DiGiovanna notes, the Angels played a 16-inning game last night against the Mariners and could use the extra roster spot for a reliever for now, then call Cron back up shortly.
Street joined the Angels from the Padres along with Trevor Gott yesterday in exchange for prospects Taylor Lindsey, Jose Rondon, R.J. Alvarez, and Elliot Morris.
Cron, 24, has had a decent year for the Angels thus far, at least from a power perspective, posting a .269/.297/.480 slash line with nine home runs and 27 RBI in 182 plate appearances.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)