Jul 19, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
In addition to pushing back Adam Wainwright‘s first start of the second half, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com yesterday that Shelby Miller will be moved to the bullpen indefinitely.
The Cardinals will use a four-man rotation for the short-term and could potentially do so until August, as they have an off-day after each of their next three series. Miller is in his second full season as a starter and the club has been looking for a way to give him some rest. A temporary trip to the bullpen appears to be the plan.
“How long that lasts, I’m not going to say [it will be through the end of] the month,” Matheny said. “We’ll see how guys look and feel. He’s ready to go [in the bullpen]. As far as how we use him, it’s how we need him.”
After finishing third in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting last season with a 3.01 ERA over 31 starts, Miller has struggled to the tune of a 4.29 ERA and 73/54 K/BB ratio in 109 innings over 19 starts this season. His strikeout percentage is down eight percent from last season while his walks have increased by 3.5 percent. It’s a troubling combination.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)