Jul 19, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
In addition to pushing back Adam Wainwright‘s first start of the second half, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com yesterday that Shelby Miller will be moved to the bullpen indefinitely.
The Cardinals will use a four-man rotation for the short-term and could potentially do so until August, as they have an off-day after each of their next three series. Miller is in his second full season as a starter and the club has been looking for a way to give him some rest. A temporary trip to the bullpen appears to be the plan.
“How long that lasts, I’m not going to say [it will be through the end of] the month,” Matheny said. “We’ll see how guys look and feel. He’s ready to go [in the bullpen]. As far as how we use him, it’s how we need him.”
After finishing third in the NL Rookie of the Year balloting last season with a 3.01 ERA over 31 starts, Miller has struggled to the tune of a 4.29 ERA and 73/54 K/BB ratio in 109 innings over 19 starts this season. His strikeout percentage is down eight percent from last season while his walks have increased by 3.5 percent. It’s a troubling combination.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)