Jul 19, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
The Rangers enter Saturday’s action with the worst record in baseball at 39-57, but they won’t be pawning everybody off. Relievers Joakim Soria and Neal Cotts, as well as outfielder Alex Rios could be traded by the July 31 deadline, but according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the club plans to hang on to Adrian Beltre, Yu Darvish, and Elvis Andrus.
Soria, 30, is in the final year of a two-year, $8 million deal. He has a club option for 2015 worth $7 million with a $500,000 buyout. The right-hander has a 2.59 ERA with 16 saves and a 42/4 K/BB ratio in 31 1/3 innings this season.
Cotts, 34, is earning $2.2 million this season and will be eligible for free agency after the season. The lefty has posted a 3.48 ERA with a 49/16 K/BB ratio in 41 1/3 innings thus far.
Rios, 33, is playing out the final year of a seven-year, $69.835 million contract signed with the Blue Jays back in 2008. A $13.5 million club option for 2015 with a $1 million buyout remains. The outfielder has a .302/.330/.435 slash line with four home runs, 42 RBI, and 16 stolen bases.
It’s easy to see why those three would draw some interest from contending teams.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)