Jul 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo defected earlier this year and is expected to sign with an MLB team shortly after a showcase on July 26 at the University of Miami. While scouts and executives from every team are expected to be on hand for the workout, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Cubs, White Sox, Braves, and Giants are among the teams who have expressed interest.
Known for his plus-speed, Castillo is listed at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds and hits from the right side of the plate. Sanchez notes that the 27-year-old has drawn comparisons to the likes of Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury and Kenny Lofton, though Ben Badler of Baseball America has written that there’s a split on whether he’ll be an everyday player or a fourth outfielder in the majors. Either way, if he signs quickly, there’s a chance we could see him before the end of the season.
Castillo was declared a free earlier this month and will be represented stateside by Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports. Since he played five years in Cuba’s top professional league, he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending limit.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 49
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)