Jul 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo defected earlier this year and is expected to sign with an MLB team shortly after a showcase on July 26 at the University of Miami. While scouts and executives from every team are expected to be on hand for the workout, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Cubs, White Sox, Braves, and Giants are among the teams who have expressed interest.
Known for his plus-speed, Castillo is listed at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds and hits from the right side of the plate. Sanchez notes that the 27-year-old has drawn comparisons to the likes of Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury and Kenny Lofton, though Ben Badler of Baseball America has written that there’s a split on whether he’ll be an everyday player or a fourth outfielder in the majors. Either way, if he signs quickly, there’s a chance we could see him before the end of the season.
Castillo was declared a free earlier this month and will be represented stateside by Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports. Since he played five years in Cuba’s top professional league, he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending limit.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)