Jul 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo defected earlier this year and is expected to sign with an MLB team shortly after a showcase on July 26 at the University of Miami. While scouts and executives from every team are expected to be on hand for the workout, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Cubs, White Sox, Braves, and Giants are among the teams who have expressed interest.
Known for his plus-speed, Castillo is listed at 5-foot-9 and 185 pounds and hits from the right side of the plate. Sanchez notes that the 27-year-old has drawn comparisons to the likes of Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury and Kenny Lofton, though Ben Badler of Baseball America has written that there’s a split on whether he’ll be an everyday player or a fourth outfielder in the majors. Either way, if he signs quickly, there’s a chance we could see him before the end of the season.
Castillo was declared a free earlier this month and will be represented stateside by Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports. Since he played five years in Cuba’s top professional league, he will not be subject to MLB’s international spending limit.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)