Jul 19, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Giants, in need of infield help, have been considering shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera and utilityman Mike Aviles as trade options, according to Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. The Giants recently got Marco Scutaro back from the disabled list, but he has played in just one game since being activated on July 11.
Cabrera, 28, is earning $10 million this season and is eligible for free agency after the season. To date, he has posted a mediocre .250/.310/.399 with nine home runs and 38 RBI. As Cabrera is subpar defensively at shortstop and the Giants already have a productive Brandon Crawford, they would likely opt to put Cabrera at second base if they happened to acquire him.
Aviles, 33, is earning $3 million this season. His contract includes a $3.5 million club option for 2015 with a $250,000 buyout. He has played at five different positions this season: third base, second base, left field, shortstop, and center field. At the dish, he has compiled a .269/.287/.358 with three home runs, 23 RBI, and eight stolen bases.
The Indians may not decide to sell, however. They enter Saturday’s action at 48-47, 6.5 games out of first place in the AL Central. A good week could prompt them to gear up for a playoff push instead.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)