Jul 19, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Giants, in need of infield help, have been considering shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera and utilityman Mike Aviles as trade options, according to Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. The Giants recently got Marco Scutaro back from the disabled list, but he has played in just one game since being activated on July 11.
Cabrera, 28, is earning $10 million this season and is eligible for free agency after the season. To date, he has posted a mediocre .250/.310/.399 with nine home runs and 38 RBI. As Cabrera is subpar defensively at shortstop and the Giants already have a productive Brandon Crawford, they would likely opt to put Cabrera at second base if they happened to acquire him.
Aviles, 33, is earning $3 million this season. His contract includes a $3.5 million club option for 2015 with a $250,000 buyout. He has played at five different positions this season: third base, second base, left field, shortstop, and center field. At the dish, he has compiled a .269/.287/.358 with three home runs, 23 RBI, and eight stolen bases.
The Indians may not decide to sell, however. They enter Saturday’s action at 48-47, 6.5 games out of first place in the AL Central. A good week could prompt them to gear up for a playoff push instead.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)