Jul 19, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Orioles have had “very preliminary” talks with the Phillies regarding a deal for right-hander A.J. Burnett. No deal appears to be imminent, but Morosi notes there has been some “initial dialogue” about a possible trade.
The Orioles make some sense as a potential destination, as they could use another arm for their starting rotation. They were also among the teams interested in Burnett before he signed with the Phillies in February.
Burnett gave up six runs over five innings against the Braves last night and owns a 4.08 ERA and 113/58 K/BB ratio 136 2/3 innings across 21 starts this season. He’s making $15 million this season (including a $7.5 million signing bonus) while his contract includes a mutual/player option for 2015 which guarantees him at least $7.5 million. He has a limited no-trade clause which allows him to block deals to nine teams, but considering that he owns a home in Maryland, he would likely welcome a trade to Baltimore.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)