Jul 19, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Orioles have had “very preliminary” talks with the Phillies regarding a deal for right-hander A.J. Burnett. No deal appears to be imminent, but Morosi notes there has been some “initial dialogue” about a possible trade.
The Orioles make some sense as a potential destination, as they could use another arm for their starting rotation. They were also among the teams interested in Burnett before he signed with the Phillies in February.
Burnett gave up six runs over five innings against the Braves last night and owns a 4.08 ERA and 113/58 K/BB ratio 136 2/3 innings across 21 starts this season. He’s making $15 million this season (including a $7.5 million signing bonus) while his contract includes a mutual/player option for 2015 which guarantees him at least $7.5 million. He has a limited no-trade clause which allows him to block deals to nine teams, but considering that he owns a home in Maryland, he would likely welcome a trade to Baltimore.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)