Jul 19, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
It took a little while, but the Angels continue to roll.
Thanks to a walk-off single from Efren Navarro in the bottom of the 16th inning, the Angels topped the Mariners 3-2 last night (or early this morning, really) at Angel Stadium. The game took five hours and 14 minutes to complete and ended at around 3:20 a.m. ET. I’ll be honest, I was fast asleep by then.
The Angels had an early two-run lead in this one, but the Mariners tied it up by scoring two runs in the seventh inning. The bullpens took over from there and they were both tremendous. The Mariners ended up using eight pitchers (including four scoreless innings from Tom Wilhelmsen) while the Angels used nine. However, the Angels finally got something going after Mike Trout hit a one-out double off Dominic Leone in the 16th. Albert Pujols hit a comebacker for the second out of the inning, but after Josh Hamilton was intentionally walked, Navarro sent Angels fans home happy with a base hit up the middle.
The Angels have won six straight games and now sit at 58-37 on the year. While they are 1 1/2 games behind the first-place Athletics in the American League West, they own the second-best record in the majors.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners 2, Angels 3 (16 innings)
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)