Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 19, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT

Angels walkoff getty Getty Images

It took a little while, but the Angels continue to roll.

Thanks to a walk-off single from Efren Navarro in the bottom of the 16th inning, the Angels topped the Mariners 3-2 last night (or early this morning, really) at Angel Stadium. The game took five hours and 14 minutes to complete and ended at around 3:20 a.m. ET. I’ll be honest, I was fast asleep by then.

The Angels had an early two-run lead in this one, but the Mariners tied it up by scoring two runs in the seventh inning. The bullpens took over from there and they were both tremendous. The Mariners ended up using eight pitchers (including four scoreless innings from Tom Wilhelmsen) while the Angels used nine. However, the Angels finally got something going after Mike Trout hit a one-out double off Dominic Leone in the 16th. Albert Pujols hit a comebacker for the second out of the inning, but after Josh Hamilton was intentionally walked, Navarro sent Angels fans home happy with a base hit up the middle.

The Angels have won six straight games and now sit at 58-37 on the year. While they are 1 1/2 games behind the first-place Athletics in the American League West, they own the second-best record in the majors.

Your Friday box scores:

Mariners 2, Angels 3 (16 innings)

Rangers 5, Blue Jays 1

Dodgers 2, Cardinals 3

Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 5

Orioles 4, Athletics 5

Mets 5, Padres 4

1. johnnysoda - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:23 AM

And That Happened: Friday Edition

Angels 3, Mariners 2- It took sixteen innings, seventeen pitchers, and 5:14, but the Angels managed to begin the second half on a winning note, thanks to Efren Navarro’s walk-off double in the sixteenth. If the Angels were in any other division in MLB, they’d be up by at least four games. As is, however, they have to settle for a wild card spot for the time being.

Athletics 5, Orioles 4- Not fun for the Baltimore fans who stayed up late, as Zach Britton blew the save without getting an out, cumulating with a Josh Donaldson walk-off home run. They still maintain a comfortable four game cushion, however.

Yankees 4, Reds 3- It was a win that went exactly how the Yankees planned: David Phelps gave up two earned runs over seven innings, Betances got the hold in the eighth, and Robertson had the save in the ninth.

Pirates 4, Rockies 2- The Rockies led 2-1 going into the seventh, but the Bucs tied it on a hit by pitch (!) in the seventh, and took the lead on a Travis Snider double in the eighth. Pittsburgh gains a game on the Reds in the NL Central, and remain within a doable 3 1/2 games of first.

Brewers 4, Nationals 2- Home runs by Scooter Gennett and Khris Davis gave the Brewers a 2-0 lead before the game really got started, while Kyle Lohse threw seven solid innings. If the Brewers can win this series, against a contending team, it could re-establish themselves as a major force in the National League.

Indians 9, Tigers 3- The Indians rallied for seven in the seventh, headlined by home runs from Jason Kipnis (who hit another in the ninth), and Asdrubal Cabrera, not to mention a two-run single from Nick Swisher.

Giants 9, Marlins 1- Madison Bumgarner returns from the All-Star Game still in All-Star form (6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K). Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Crawford both homered to lead the offensive charge.

Rangers 5, Blue Jays 1- It’s a battle of a really lousy team that no one expected to be lousy, and a historically lousy team that was playing well but now are starting to play lousy. The former squad won the game, backed by a tremendous outing by Yu Darvish (6 2/3 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 12 K). Toronto’s now only a game above .500 and four games back in the AL East.

Red Sox 5, Royals 4- Two run home runs from Xander Bogaerts and Jonny Gomes in the sixth enabled Boston to take a lead they would not relinquish.

Braves 6, Phillies 4- The post-Dan Uggla era in Atlanta commences in style, as the Braves take the series opener. The new second baseman, Tommy La Sella, had a hit that drove in a run, as if to rub it in Uggla’s face even more.

Rays 6, Twins 2- James Loney had three hits, Evan Longoria had a three-run double, and Ben Zobrist homered to give Tampa the victory.

White Sox 3, Astros 2- Scott Feldman pitched pretty well for Houston (7 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K). Unfortunately, his offense went into hibernation after the second inning, and the Sox took the lead on a Tyler Flowers double in the seventh. Between this and the news about Brady Aiken, I think it’s safe to say there’s been better days in Houston.

Cardinals 3, Dodgers 2- It was the Matt Holliday show: he drove in all three runs for St. Louis, including a two-run home run in the fifth. The Dodgers had their chance, with men on first and second and one out in the eighth, but could not capitalize.

Mets 5, Padres 4- This game was watched by dozens of fans camping out on the field at Citi Field. Apparently, once a year, for $200, you can watch a west coast game while camping out on the field in Queens, and then sleep over there. If it wasn’t so much money, I would strongly consider doing that, because it sounds really cool.
    The fans saw a good game, too: it was tied 4-4 in the ninth when Travis d’Arnaud had the go-ahead single with two outs.

Diamondbacks 5, Cubs 4- Anthony Rizzo had two home runs for the North Side crew, but the Diamondbacks rallied for three in the sixth and never looked back.

2. nvl004 - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Manny Machado throws a bat into left field, suspended 5 games and gets called a punk and a thug by everybody. A’s pitchers hit Hardy and Jones in their heads in last night’s game and don’t even get a warning to the dug out and it doesn’t even get mentioned in any game recap i can find online.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM

The key concept is “intent”. Machado’s action was deliberate. Obviously, last night, the umpire did not think that the Baltimore batters were being deliberately thrown at.

• nvl004 - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Proudly….I didn’t think it was intentionally as i was watching it. But after the 3rd Oriole got hit by a pitch i started to have my doubts. I’m ok with the Umps decision if that what they thought. I just found it interesting that it wasn’t even mentioned in the highlights or on any recaps.

• nvl004 - Jul 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Also in the AP recap the writer said that Manny threw his bat at Donaldson in the last meeting. Which is incorrect because Donaldson wasn’t even playing 3B at the time of that incident. But that bit of detail didn’t serve the narrative too well.

• clydeserra - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:06 AM

you think they tried to hit a guy in a tie game?

that seems dumb,

• clydeserra - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM

btw, Samardzija has hit 9 this year. Which is a lot.

• paperlions - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Joseph was hit by an 85 mph breaking ball to lead off an inning in a 0-0 game.

Hardy was hit by an 85 mph breaking ball to lead off an inning in a 1-0 game.

Jones was hit by a 96 mph FB with a man on 2B in the 8th with Oakland down 4-2 and Cruz on deck.

None of these situations have any characteristics of an intentional HBP. If you squint and an Oriole’s fan, you might be able to blur the last one into an intentional action.

• nvl004 - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

As i said before i didn’t really think it was intentional. My observation was more that it wasn’t even mentioned in any of the highlights, which surprised me.

• nvl004 - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM

clyde….I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a pitcher hit someone intentionally in a tie game. I’m sure it happened several times in the history of baseball.

• clydeserra - Jul 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I am sure people have. Especially a Buck Schowalter team, or Kirk Gibson. But not an A’s team.

When Abad threw at Machado in May, sure, that runner was inconsequential, so I am ok with calling that intentional.

I mean, I pay a lot of attention to the A’s and I don’t expect you do, trust me, yesterday’s HBP were not intentional.

3. penguins87and71 - Jul 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I’ll gladly eat my words from earlier in the season when I said the Pirates were done. They proved me wrong, and I couldn’t be any happier! I will give the Pirates a lot of credit for getting back into the race, they have a lot of heart. I think if Liriano can turn it around and Cole can comeback, and maybe the Pirates can get one more bullpen arm. I think the Pirates can be a really scary team going down the stretch!

4. historiophiliac - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Congratulations to Bauer for his first road win. It sure didn’t look likely early on. The Block C batters really took advantage of Sanchez getting tired and our BP…well, being our BP. Sigh. Guess what we still need to work on? Nothing like an immediate reminder after the break.

• happytwinsfan - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I sincerely hope that Detroit and the pizza billionaire guy get their make a wish, and I hope that Nathan finds one or two last gallons of gas at the bottom of his tank to help make that happen.

Next year we don’t want to waste our time knocking off anything less than the defending world series champion.

• moogro - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM

oh boy

5. campcouch - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I know baseball players like rituals, pranks, Gatorade dumps and pies, but I watched that O’s/A’s game and after the walk off homer, they actually ripped the guy’s jersey off and tossed it in the dirt. That was a new one for me. It was kind of funny and disturbing at the same time. I chuckled that they would yank his top off but then felt it kind of disrespected the franchise. It must be me getting old.

• clydeserra - Jul 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Its punto. He started doing it in Stl. in 2011? Whenever he was there.

I don’t like it.

• paperlions - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I didn’t care for it either, but that is why he is called “The Shredder”.

• campcouch - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Ah,thanks. I wasn’t sure if that was a one-timer,but afterwards I scoured the net and saw that it happens a lot.

6. 22yearsagotoday - Jul 19, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Giants beat up on the Feesh, as OG calls the Marlins. Giants win/Dodgers loss and it’s going to be a tight race in the NL West.

• groupofsevenrules - Jul 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

And so it is. BTW Gator, I believe, is either on his way to or already in Australia, He mentioned sometime last week that he was going down there for a couple of weeks. Based on what he has written this season I somehow doubt if the Feesh getting crushed first game out of the box post-ASG would have surprised him. It was nice to see the Iron Giant (which is what he calls Stanton) unload like that. Always a majestic experience.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2927)