Jul 19, 2014, 8:19 PM EST
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki came up lame after running out an inning-ending grounder in the top of the fourth inning against the Pirates. MLB.com’s Thomas Harding reports that Tulowitzki was seen grabbing his upper left leg before going back to the dugout. Josh Rutledge took Tulowitzki’s spot at shortstop for the bottom half of the inning.
Tulowitzki was the starting shortstop for the National League in the 2014 All-Star Game in Minnesota, and was the captain of the National League’s Home Run Derby squad. He has been having a fantastic season, leading the league in all three triple slash categories (.342/.434/.607) while hitting 21 home runs, driving in 52 runs, and playing stellar defense. Obviously, it’s a huge blow for the Rockies if Tulowitzki ends up going on the 15-day disabled list.
The exact injury is not yet known, but the Rockies should pass along more information shortly. We’ll update you here when that happens.
Update (9:20 PM ET): It’s a muscle cramp in his left thigh, per Harding.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)