Jul 20, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Though it’s done in the name of good-natured fun, Fernando Rodney‘s bow-and-arrow celebration after nailing down a save has, at times, rubbed people the wrong way. Rodney did it again after getting two outs to finish out the eighth inning. The Angels decided to borrow it when they came from behind against Rodney and eventually walked off 6-5 winners in the ninth inning on Sunday.
Down 5-4, Mike Trout led off the ninth inning with a walk, then used his speed to score from first on an Albert Pujols double to right field. After Trout scored, Pujols mimicked firing a bow-and-arrow towards Trout (and, he says, the Angels dugout). Trout returned the shot back to Pujols. The Angels would take a 6-5 victory when Grant Green pushed a two-out single up the middle to score Josh Hamilton.
Video of the Pujols hit and bow-and-arrow act:
There’s no bad blood between the two sides, however:
Rodney on arrows by Trout, Pujols: “They did? They got emotional, maybe. They beat me tonight. That’s all it is. That’s why they did that.”
— Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) July 21, 2014
Rodney on the arrow in the eighth: “I did that for the fans. When I came on, the booed me. It’s part of the game.” — Bob Dutton (@TNT_Mariners) July 21, 2014
Pujols also made it clear he was firing the arrow at the Angels dugout and not Rodney.
— Ryan Divish (@RyanDivish) July 21, 2014
Rodney has had a great year for the Mariners, as the blown save was just his third of the season in 30 save opportunities. He still carries a 2.33 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP, and a 44/16 K/BB ratio.
The Athletics won as well on Sunday to improve to 61-37, so the 59-38 Angels remain 1.5 games out of first place in the AL West. The Mariners fall to 52-46, nine games out of first.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)