Jul 20, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Giants first baseman Brandon Belt was struck in the head by a thrown ball during batting practice on Saturday and now Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that he is headed to the disabled list. It’s not clear yet whether that will be the 15-day disabled list, or the new 7-day disabled list that is specifically designed for players displaying concussion symptoms. A decision will be made on that end Monday, when the Giants call up Adam Duvall from Triple-A Fresno to help out at first base.
Duvall has hit .303/.361/.626 with 26 home runs and 79 RBI in 78 games this season at the Triple-A level. He made his major league debut in June.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)