Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com …
Brandon Belt’s tough luck season continued Saturday night, when he was struck in the face by a thrown ball during batting practice.
Belt started in the Giants’ 5-3 victory at Marlins Park but was removed in the bottom of the third inning because of dizziness and the club sent him for concussion tests following the game.
“There was a little miscommunication and two throws were coming at once,” Giants manager Bochy said. “He didn’t see one of them and got hit square in the face. Once the game started, he got a little nauseous.”
Baggarly believes that Belt — who missed all of June with a fractured left thumb — is headed to the 7-day concussion disabled list. The first baseman has appeared in only 46 of the Giants’ 97 games this year.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)