Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com …
Brandon Belt’s tough luck season continued Saturday night, when he was struck in the face by a thrown ball during batting practice.
Belt started in the Giants’ 5-3 victory at Marlins Park but was removed in the bottom of the third inning because of dizziness and the club sent him for concussion tests following the game.
“There was a little miscommunication and two throws were coming at once,” Giants manager Bochy said. “He didn’t see one of them and got hit square in the face. Once the game started, he got a little nauseous.”
Baggarly believes that Belt — who missed all of June with a fractured left thumb — is headed to the 7-day concussion disabled list. The first baseman has appeared in only 46 of the Giants’ 97 games this year.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 24
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 45
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 25
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)