Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 AM EST
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com …
Brandon Belt’s tough luck season continued Saturday night, when he was struck in the face by a thrown ball during batting practice.
Belt started in the Giants’ 5-3 victory at Marlins Park but was removed in the bottom of the third inning because of dizziness and the club sent him for concussion tests following the game.
“There was a little miscommunication and two throws were coming at once,” Giants manager Bochy said. “He didn’t see one of them and got hit square in the face. Once the game started, he got a little nauseous.”
Baggarly believes that Belt — who missed all of June with a fractured left thumb — is headed to the 7-day concussion disabled list. The first baseman has appeared in only 46 of the Giants’ 97 games this year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)