Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com …
Brandon Belt’s tough luck season continued Saturday night, when he was struck in the face by a thrown ball during batting practice.
Belt started in the Giants’ 5-3 victory at Marlins Park but was removed in the bottom of the third inning because of dizziness and the club sent him for concussion tests following the game.
“There was a little miscommunication and two throws were coming at once,” Giants manager Bochy said. “He didn’t see one of them and got hit square in the face. Once the game started, he got a little nauseous.”
Baggarly believes that Belt — who missed all of June with a fractured left thumb — is headed to the 7-day concussion disabled list. The first baseman has appeared in only 46 of the Giants’ 97 games this year.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)