Jul 20, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
From Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com …
Brandon Belt’s tough luck season continued Saturday night, when he was struck in the face by a thrown ball during batting practice.
Belt started in the Giants’ 5-3 victory at Marlins Park but was removed in the bottom of the third inning because of dizziness and the club sent him for concussion tests following the game.
“There was a little miscommunication and two throws were coming at once,” Giants manager Bochy said. “He didn’t see one of them and got hit square in the face. Once the game started, he got a little nauseous.”
Baggarly believes that Belt — who missed all of June with a fractured left thumb — is headed to the 7-day concussion disabled list. The first baseman has appeared in only 46 of the Giants’ 97 games this year.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)