Jul 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the goods:
Would Price ever sign with the Mariners long term? The Mariners don’t view it as an issue because they would have Price for the remainder of this year and next. The Cardinals have shown interest but would want a financial commitment, according to a major league source. Don’t rule out the Giants, who also have had interest in Ben Zobrist to solve their second base situation.
Price struck out nine batters and gave up only four hits over eight shutout innings Saturday in the Rays’ defeat of the Twins and now boasts a 3.06 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 173/21 K/BB ratio in 155 2/3 total frames this year for Tampa Bay. He would give the Cardinals a second ace to pair with Adam Wainwright — a luxury no doubt, but also a need for the stretch run and playoffs with Michael Wacha (shoulder) out indefinitely.
The Rays will probably demand Oscar Taveras or Carlos Martinez from St. Louis — perhaps even both of them — so the Cardinals will want to be sure this isn’t just a rental situation if they do spin a trade for Price. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
Locking up Price would surely cost north of $120 million. Wainwright signed a five-year, $97.5 million extension with St. Louis in March 2013 — the most money the Cards have ever committed to a pitcher.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)