Jul 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EST
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the goods:
Would Price ever sign with the Mariners long term? The Mariners don’t view it as an issue because they would have Price for the remainder of this year and next. The Cardinals have shown interest but would want a financial commitment, according to a major league source. Don’t rule out the Giants, who also have had interest in Ben Zobrist to solve their second base situation.
Price struck out nine batters and gave up only four hits over eight shutout innings Saturday in the Rays’ defeat of the Twins and now boasts a 3.06 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 173/21 K/BB ratio in 155 2/3 total frames this year for Tampa Bay. He would give the Cardinals a second ace to pair with Adam Wainwright — a luxury no doubt, but also a need for the stretch run and playoffs with Michael Wacha (shoulder) out indefinitely.
The Rays will probably demand Oscar Taveras or Carlos Martinez from St. Louis — perhaps even both of them — so the Cardinals will want to be sure this isn’t just a rental situation if they do spin a trade for Price. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
Locking up Price would surely cost north of $120 million. Wainwright signed a five-year, $97.5 million extension with St. Louis in March 2013 — the most money the Cards have ever committed to a pitcher.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)