Jul 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the goods:
Would Price ever sign with the Mariners long term? The Mariners don’t view it as an issue because they would have Price for the remainder of this year and next. The Cardinals have shown interest but would want a financial commitment, according to a major league source. Don’t rule out the Giants, who also have had interest in Ben Zobrist to solve their second base situation.
Price struck out nine batters and gave up only four hits over eight shutout innings Saturday in the Rays’ defeat of the Twins and now boasts a 3.06 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 173/21 K/BB ratio in 155 2/3 total frames this year for Tampa Bay. He would give the Cardinals a second ace to pair with Adam Wainwright — a luxury no doubt, but also a need for the stretch run and playoffs with Michael Wacha (shoulder) out indefinitely.
The Rays will probably demand Oscar Taveras or Carlos Martinez from St. Louis — perhaps even both of them — so the Cardinals will want to be sure this isn’t just a rental situation if they do spin a trade for Price. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
Locking up Price would surely cost north of $120 million. Wainwright signed a five-year, $97.5 million extension with St. Louis in March 2013 — the most money the Cards have ever committed to a pitcher.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)