Jul 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe has the goods:
Would Price ever sign with the Mariners long term? The Mariners don’t view it as an issue because they would have Price for the remainder of this year and next. The Cardinals have shown interest but would want a financial commitment, according to a major league source. Don’t rule out the Giants, who also have had interest in Ben Zobrist to solve their second base situation.
Price struck out nine batters and gave up only four hits over eight shutout innings Saturday in the Rays’ defeat of the Twins and now boasts a 3.06 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, and 173/21 K/BB ratio in 155 2/3 total frames this year for Tampa Bay. He would give the Cardinals a second ace to pair with Adam Wainwright — a luxury no doubt, but also a need for the stretch run and playoffs with Michael Wacha (shoulder) out indefinitely.
The Rays will probably demand Oscar Taveras or Carlos Martinez from St. Louis — perhaps even both of them — so the Cardinals will want to be sure this isn’t just a rental situation if they do spin a trade for Price. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
Locking up Price would surely cost north of $120 million. Wainwright signed a five-year, $97.5 million extension with St. Louis in March 2013 — the most money the Cards have ever committed to a pitcher.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)