Jul 20, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
MLB.com beat writer Jordan Bastian confirms that the Indians will recall right-hander Danny Salazar from Triple-A Columbus to start Tuesday night against the Twins at Minneapolis’ Target Field.
Salazar opened the 2014 regular season as a member of Cleveland’s starting rotation but was optioned to the minors after posting a rough 5.53 ERA and 1.62 WHIP over his first eight starts. Those struggles continued at Triple-A but he’s been much better lately, boasting a 2.32 ERA and 39 strikeouts over his last 31 innings (five starts) for the Clippers.
Salazar has excellent raw stuff and could provide a nice boost for the big league rotation down the stretch if he’s able to reign in some of his control issues. The 24-year-old posted a promising 3.12 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 65/15 K/BB ratio across his first 52 major league frames last season for the Tribe.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)