Jul 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Leading up to the Home Run Derby last Monday in Minnesota, we heard several players — Jose Abreu and Mike Trout among them — cite the myth that the Derby leads to second-half woes. Perhaps Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton can serve as evidence in the opposite direction.
The slugger, who lost 1-0 in the semifinals of the Home Run Derby to Todd Frazier, homered on Friday and Saturday against the Giants, the first two games back from the All-Star break. Stanton went into the break slumping, going homerless with a .580 OPS in his previous 15 games. As MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports, Stanton credits the Derby for helping rediscover his swing:
“Having to lock in for the Derby made me feel better,” Stanton said. “I wasn’t myself the last couple of weeks. The short time off and the Derby kind of helped me out. I think it will be all right.”
Stanton leads the National League with 23 home runs. He is locked in a tie with Paul Goldschmidt for the league lead in RBI with 65 and he carries an impressive .295/.394/.551 slash line.
As Ken Woolums and Daniel R. Braunstein explained at Five Thirty Eight, a hitter’s second-half decline has more to do with expected regression rather than messed up mechanics caused by the Home Run Derby.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)