Jul 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Leading up to the Home Run Derby last Monday in Minnesota, we heard several players — Jose Abreu and Mike Trout among them — cite the myth that the Derby leads to second-half woes. Perhaps Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton can serve as evidence in the opposite direction.
The slugger, who lost 1-0 in the semifinals of the Home Run Derby to Todd Frazier, homered on Friday and Saturday against the Giants, the first two games back from the All-Star break. Stanton went into the break slumping, going homerless with a .580 OPS in his previous 15 games. As MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports, Stanton credits the Derby for helping rediscover his swing:
“Having to lock in for the Derby made me feel better,” Stanton said. “I wasn’t myself the last couple of weeks. The short time off and the Derby kind of helped me out. I think it will be all right.”
Stanton leads the National League with 23 home runs. He is locked in a tie with Paul Goldschmidt for the league lead in RBI with 65 and he carries an impressive .295/.394/.551 slash line.
As Ken Woolums and Daniel R. Braunstein explained at Five Thirty Eight, a hitter’s second-half decline has more to do with expected regression rather than messed up mechanics caused by the Home Run Derby.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (159)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)