Jul 20, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Update (6:35 PM ET): Despaigne lost his no-hitter after recording back-to-back strikeouts of Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Curtis Granderson. Daniel Murphy ripped a high fastball for a double to left-center. David Wright followed up with a ground ball single up the middle to score Murphy. Despaigne departs having allowed the one run and two hits over 7 2/3 innings. He walked three, hit two batters, and struck out five on 123 pitches.
Padres starter Odrisamer Despaigne has no-hit the Mets through seven innings this afternoon. He hasn’t been perfect by any means, as he has walked three and hit two batters with baseballs. He loaded the bases with two outs on two walks and a hit batter before escaping the seventh. Despaigne will enter the eighth inning having thrown 100 pitches.
Catcher Yasmani Grandal gave his pitcher some run support, blasting a solo home run to right-center off of Zack Wheeler in the fourth inning. The Padres have scratched out eight hits but have managed only the one run.
Despaigne, making his fifth career start, has been great for the Padres. He entered the afternoon with a 1.35 ERA and a 12/8 K/BB ratio over 26 2/3 innings.
We’ll keep you updated as Despaigne progresses through the game in an attempt to throw the first no-hitter in Padres history. The Mets were last victims of a no-hitter on September 8, 1993, when Astros starter Darryl Kile accomplished the feat. The Padres, of course, watched a no-hitter earlier this season when Giants starter Tim Lincecum held them hitless on June 25.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)