Jul 20, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Update (6:35 PM ET): Despaigne lost his no-hitter after recording back-to-back strikeouts of Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Curtis Granderson. Daniel Murphy ripped a high fastball for a double to left-center. David Wright followed up with a ground ball single up the middle to score Murphy. Despaigne departs having allowed the one run and two hits over 7 2/3 innings. He walked three, hit two batters, and struck out five on 123 pitches.
Padres starter Odrisamer Despaigne has no-hit the Mets through seven innings this afternoon. He hasn’t been perfect by any means, as he has walked three and hit two batters with baseballs. He loaded the bases with two outs on two walks and a hit batter before escaping the seventh. Despaigne will enter the eighth inning having thrown 100 pitches.
Catcher Yasmani Grandal gave his pitcher some run support, blasting a solo home run to right-center off of Zack Wheeler in the fourth inning. The Padres have scratched out eight hits but have managed only the one run.
Despaigne, making his fifth career start, has been great for the Padres. He entered the afternoon with a 1.35 ERA and a 12/8 K/BB ratio over 26 2/3 innings.
We’ll keep you updated as Despaigne progresses through the game in an attempt to throw the first no-hitter in Padres history. The Mets were last victims of a no-hitter on September 8, 1993, when Astros starter Darryl Kile accomplished the feat. The Padres, of course, watched a no-hitter earlier this season when Giants starter Tim Lincecum held them hitless on June 25.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)