Jul 20, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
As first relayed by beat writer John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer …
Schumaker activated; Soto optioned to Louisville. #reds
— John Fay (@johnfayman) July 20, 2014
That’s Neftali Soto, who is 3-for-30 this year as a backup corner infielder for the Reds.
Skip Schumaker landed on the concussion disabled list July 11 — two days before the All-Star break. He is batting second and starting at second base in his return to action Sunday at Yankee Stadium.
The 34-year-old utilityman is batting .240/.287/.315 in 160 plate appearances this season.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)