Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jul 20, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT

joe kelly getty Getty Images

Matt Carpenter drew a walk, Kolten Wong singled, Matt Holliday singled, and Matt Adams homered as the Cardinals plated four runs before Dodgers starter Zack Greinke could even record an out Saturday in an eventual 4-2 victory at a sold-out Busch Stadium.

St. Louis starter Joe Kelly cruised on the back of that big early lead, yielding just four hits, one walk, and one run over seven strong innings. And flame-throwing closer Trevor Rosenthal closed it out for his 30th save, which is tied for the major league lead.

The Cardinals are now tied with the Brewers — who got blown out by the Nationals on Saturday night in Washington, D.C. — for first place in the National League Central standings. The Reds and Pirates are both 2 1/2 games back. Let’s get weird.

Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …

Reds 1, Yankees 7

Indians 6, Tigers 2 (Game 1)

Rangers 1, Blue Jays 4

Dodgers 2, Cardinals 4

Brewers 3, Nationals 8

Rockies 2, Pirates 3 (11 innings)

Indians 5, Tigers 2 (Game 2)

Royals 1, Red Sox 2

Astros 3, White Sox 4

Rays 5, Twins 1

Phillies 2, Braves 1

Giants 5, Marlins 3

Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 9

Mets 0, Padres 6

Orioles 8, Athletics 4

Mariners 3, Angels 2

1. tfbuckfutter - Jul 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM

And the Red Sox continue their tear toward not selling at the deadline.

Awesome.

• happytwinsfan - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM

And the Twins continue their tear to sell.

Depressing.

• twinfan24 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Hopefully, Willingham and a couple of others get going so the Twins have someone to sell that someone will want.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM

In the Jays/Rangers game, we learned that 1) Colby Lewis is taking over from Luke Scott and John Rocker as baseball’s primary idiot, 2) Marcus Stroman has the potential to become an ace, and 3) the two pigeons who invaded the field in the 8th inning were smart enough to wait until well after Colby Lewis had left the game.

• clydeserra - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:23 AM

stroman looks great.

But he is dead to me for coughing up 6 against the angels.

• ptfu - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

So is Rob Dibble a Baseball Idiot King, Emeritus?

3. aresachaela - Jul 20, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Finally! Yeanks showing some light!!

4. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

MUCH needed win by the Orioles last night.

• randomdigits - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM

There is no such thing as a much needed win when you are up by 3 1/2 in your division.

Was a good win tho.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Wrong- they are ALL much needed wins. I was simply making note that it was much needed due to the fact that the rest of the division pulled down a W. But I see your point!

• indaburg - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I agree–it was a needed win. Everyone in the east won, and a 3.5 game lead can dissipate quickly when there is still a lot of baseball left. I’m curious to see how the O’s do in the next couple of weeks. It’s a tough schedule with the A’s, Angels, and Mariners.

• natstowngreg - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM

How refreshing is it to see “Mariners” and “tough schedule” in the same sentence?

5. historiophiliac - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Is there anything more frustrating than a star team underperforming? My God. We’re like a finicky performance vehicle. You let her get cold and she needs retuning and a lengthy warm up to start up again. Oh, and thanks, Joe Nathan. Why did they send him in for the 9th when it was tied? Why? Can’t we just accidentally send him somewhere? Maybe he and Coke could get lost on the Amazing Race or something….

If there’s anything more annoying than the Tigers dropping 3 (and maybe 4!) to the Block C’s, it has to be the broadcast team from last night. Good gravy, dudes, talk about what’s going on in the game. Your predictions are wrong, so shut up with that. This is a baseball game — no one cares where you like to play golf around Detroit — shut up with that too. If I wanted to hear random dudes talking about how bad the season has gone for the Rangers, I could go to the bar and eavesdrop on someone’s conversation. I want you to know something about the actual teams playing and talk about what’s going on here. Honestly, it’s more fun to make my niece give everyone’s average and AB recap when they come up to the plate each time than to listen to that babbling. Plus, there’s way more singing in the game when she’s “announcing.”

• twinfan24 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM

The so called experts have overhyped the Tigers for the last few years, based on the other teams in their division not being great. The Tigers have played up to their actual talent for the most part the last few years. They only seem to be underperforming if you got your hopes up too high. They have great starting pitching, an often weak bullpen, and a lineup with a few holes the last few years. They play to the level you would expect if you truly take a close look.

• historiophiliac - Jul 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM

You’re a bitter little Twins fan, ain’t ya?

6. Old Gator - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Greetings from beautiful downtown Sydney in the land of Oz, folks. I don’t know where all the munchkins have goine but there does seem to be a surplus of expatriate eastern European and French waitresses working the harborside cafe these days, many with eyes that look like they were designed by Benvenuto Cellini. The harbor is almost as beautiful as I remember it, though I suppose it would look as beautiful as I remembered it if it didn’t have to suffer by comparison with those eyes.

It’s a little odd checking out the games from this distance, especially with the ten hour plus a day time lag. One thing is clear, though – the Feesh have feezled bigtime and their season is now effectively over. This isn’t a matter of mere stats. You can overcome an eight point five disjunction in the standings if you have the seahorses you need but Scrooge McLoria’s latest silly effort to stage a meaningful season on the cheap has imploded, as it had to, and the weaknesses he built into this bunch have really risen to the light. Garrett Jones, Salty and the trio of second baseman wannabes have all washed out. Salty is the only real surprise here – one anticipated perhaps a little lagtime adjusting to the new peetching of the NL but the offensive abdication, his terrible pitch calling and worse defensive work (he throws like Johnny Damon from a crouch, if you can imagine such a thing, and his pegs are giving febrility a bad name) have all been far worse than anyone could have predicted. He now follows Black Hole Buck in Scrooge McLoria’s schizophrenic tradition of don’t pay the good players well but lard largessively the duds, mate, especially the catchers.

On the plus side, looks like the Iron Giant may be stirring, much as dead Cthulhu lay dreaming. Resignation may play a part in that. No point pressing when you know the team isn’t going anywhere anyway. Goggles has gone on the fifteen day unabled list. I don’t celebrate injuries to anyone, but I would rather see him heal himself somewhere other than in the boolpen. Adeiny Hechavarria has made himself into a respectable batter so far this season, which is a very good thing for the long term, and Marcell Ozuna has begun to come into his own. Casey McGehee has been much more of an asset than anyone could have predicted – he could be the best number two hitter in the league if he were hitting number two. Batting our popless wonder cleanup has been and apparently will continue to be a colossal mistake, second in terms of strategic blunders only with trying to convert the ME-262 from an interceptor into a bomber and bringing its speed down to the point where P51s could shoot it out of the sky (NB, that mixed metaphor was especially for you, Bubba).

So – the distant scuttlebutt (everything seems distant from here) is that the Feesh are looking to shop closer Steve Cishek in some kind of package for some EYPs. There have even been some rumors that Scrooge McLoria might sell the team this weenter but that might just be despair talking. Me, having had my celebratory barramundi dinner and a water buffalo beef burger lunch already, and having spent a delightful day prowling the old bookshops of Glebe and acquired a few little treasures for the home library, I’m going to get a good night’s sleep and then head to the Blue Hills tomorrow to see some old pals from my student days. These folks seem to have preserved themselves solely by inhaling eucalyptus oil.

• indaburg - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Glad you made it safely, OG. Good to hear from you again. I wish the news was better for you from Macondo.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Must be freezing in the Land Down Under since it’s winter time. Whadya mean, “nope”? Can’t wait to hear about the Aussie cuisine! Thanks, OG.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Winter in Sydney. There are palm tress all over the place, cycads, birds of paradise plants….it’s chilly, in the 40s F., but not exactly “weenter” as many would think of it. It’s a bit like December in New Orleans or Jacksonville. Just a bit west of Sydney, up in the Blue Hills or west of them and further away from the moderating influence of the Pacific, it’s colder and can get really chilly, even snow on rare occasions. But here, just cool enough to be…well…nice, ackcherley. Yesterday a masked plover was poking around in the garden off the lobby – weird looking bird, like a gull with a bright yellow hockey mask. One of my favorite locals. It does seem like the sulfur crested cockatoos have fled north for a little warmer weather, though – haven’t seen any the past two days.

7. janessa31888 - Jul 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I think the Indians have already matched last seasons win total against the Tigers. Nice to finally have a good series against a division rival. Corey Kluber rocks. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m glad Justin Masterson wasn’t pitching those games. Tigers would feast on him.

• historiophiliac - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Well, I thought that about Bauer and that didn’t work out (the feasting). I hope today we preserve a little dignity with a win…but Smyly is up. I’m hoping for a good game at least.

• janessa31888 - Jul 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Josh Tomlin is pitching for us. Miggy is probably licking his chops in eager anticipation of a tasty meal. I also hope for a good game.

8. uyf1950 - Jul 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

So far so good the trade Cashman made McCarthy for Nuno with the Diamondbacks picking up about half his remaining salary. Now if he can just keep it up.

9. jimeejohnson - Jul 20, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Anybody else enjoying the Cardinals beating up on the Dodgers!

• goawaydog - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Fully enjoying and may it continue tonight.

10. goawaydog - Jul 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I need advanced warning when johnnysoda isn’t going to post his ATH. This is the third time today I’ve checked back just in case.

• johnnysoda - Jul 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Yeah, I’m sorry there was no weekend ATH this A.M. Firstly, I just got a new computer, and it doesn’t have Microsoft Office on it yet. That means I would have to type the whole thing up in the comment section, right when “Settling the Score” comes out, which is a bit of a hassle (but not a huge one- it takes about 20 minutes to type a standard “ATH” out).

Secondly, I felt like hell this morning, and it was a miracle I was even up before 9, let alone able to type a recap of sixteen games (I feel better now, fortunately).

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3200)