Jul 20, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo made a terrific catch in the bottom of the sixth inning on Sunday against the Diamondbacks, and also gave everybody a chance to brush up on rule 7.04(c).
The Diamondbacks had put runners on the corners with one out in the bottom of the sixth inning of a 1-1 ballgame against Cubs starter Jake Arrieta. Hill popped up a first-pitch fastball into foul territory on the first base side. Rizzo ranged over and snagged the ball before spilling over the fence into the camera well.
Rule 7.04(c) states that:
If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.
As a result, Drew Peralta was allowed to score to give the Diamondbacks a 2-1 lead and Miguel Montero advanced to second base. It turned out to be a vital play as the Cubs went on to lose by a 3-2 margin.
Video of the play:
Prior to the catch, Rizzo had broken a scoreless tie with a solo home run off of Josh Collmenter in the top of the sixth inning. He now has 23 homers along with 53 RBI and a .281/.384/.522 slash line. The Cubs received Rizzo in the trade that sent Andrew Cashner to the Padres back in January 2012.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 19
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 43
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)