Jul 20, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo made a terrific catch in the bottom of the sixth inning on Sunday against the Diamondbacks, and also gave everybody a chance to brush up on rule 7.04(c).
The Diamondbacks had put runners on the corners with one out in the bottom of the sixth inning of a 1-1 ballgame against Cubs starter Jake Arrieta. Hill popped up a first-pitch fastball into foul territory on the first base side. Rizzo ranged over and snagged the ball before spilling over the fence into the camera well.
Rule 7.04(c) states that:
If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.
As a result, Drew Peralta was allowed to score to give the Diamondbacks a 2-1 lead and Miguel Montero advanced to second base. It turned out to be a vital play as the Cubs went on to lose by a 3-2 margin.
Video of the play:
Prior to the catch, Rizzo had broken a scoreless tie with a solo home run off of Josh Collmenter in the top of the sixth inning. He now has 23 homers along with 53 RBI and a .281/.384/.522 slash line. The Cubs received Rizzo in the trade that sent Andrew Cashner to the Padres back in January 2012.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)