AT&T Park is the most vegetarian-friendly ballpark in the big leagues

Jul 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Crop of vegetables. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and other vegetables.

At least according to PETA, which last week ranked the top 10 most veggie-friendly ballparks. I’m just seeing it now, which is rather shocking. PETA is not normally the sort of organization that is bad about letting people know what they’re doing.

Anyway: the top 10:

1. AT&T Park
2. Citizens Bank Park
3. PNC Park
4. Citi Field
5. Nationals Park
6. Coors Field
7. Safeco Field
8. Fenway Park
9. Rogers Centre
10.Turner Field

Not too surprising about AT&T or Citizen Bank — San Francisco has been at the top of this list a couple of times and Philly was #1 a couple of years ago — and the Braves make total sense given that they have a Waffle House on-site. They’re not vegan, but you can totally veg-out on waffles.

1. asimonetti88 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

This has to be the least surprising piece of news in a while

2. tbird05 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Turner field kind of throws me off here. Yes, waffles are not made of meat, but I can’t imagine the demographic leans towards vegetarian life styles. AT&T makes perfect sense. They have to offer vegetarian entrees because their patrons would be charged extra tax if the meal is “unhealthy.”

3. temporarilyexiled - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

California wins both the quantity and quality awards for produce (place the “and other greenery” joke here). What’s surprising is that AT&T hasn’t won this particular award every year.

4. rbj1 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM

” PETA is not normally the sort of organization that is bad about letting people know what they’re doing.”

You mean they broadcast how many dogs they kill? PETA is an evil organization.

• jm91rs - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

They’re the worst! For many reasons

• asimonetti88 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Better than Greenpeace but that’s not really saying much

• jm91rs - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Green Peace recently broke into P&G here in Cincinnati, dressed like a tiger and repelled on the outside of the building to protest Palm Oil related deforestation. Pita could learn a thing or two from them about protesting in style.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Sure wish you didn’t say that.

5. gothapotamus90210 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

The Phillies must’ve listed The Schmitter as having a vegan patty.

6. jm91rs - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I’m kind of a soup snob, if I could find good soup at the ball park I’d be in heaven.

7. sckrapps - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I, for one, am surprised to see CBP at #2 on the list. I thought Craig said they ate baby harp seals in Philly. As appetizers.

8. karlton3 - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM

This actually surprises me a great deal, as I’ve always thought lots of guys in San Francisco loved to eat meat.

9. stex52 - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

As an old friend of mine used to say. “Salad is what real food eats.”

Of course, then the doctor dinged him for blood pressure and cholesterol. First thing you know, he has joined in on the veggies, just like his real food does.

10. harpermd - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Had great experiences this year at AT&T and Coors this year finding vegetarian food, so I definitely believe this. Most ballparks send you halfway across the park to get to the one stand that has something you can eat. At AT&T, you can find things to eat really easily.

11. mazblast - Jul 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I have nothing against vegetables, vegetarians, or vegans, but when I’m out and about, especially at a ballpark, I’m about doing and having things I enjoy. I’ve rarely met a vegetarian or vegan who seemed to be truly HAPPY, so I don’t see any reason to follow their lifestyle.

You eat what you want, I’ll eat what I want, and so long as you don’t rag on me for not following YOUR way, we’ll be cool.

• fifthstarter - Jul 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM

“I have nothing against vegans and vegetarians which is why I’m insulting them right now.”

12. seanwasamarine - Jul 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM

PETA members shouldn’t even go to a baseball game.

13. jadaruler - Jul 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I know The Globe in Arlington will never be on this list. Go ahead and eat your soy, I’ll go eat a 2 feet of death boomstick hotdog.

14. shanabartels - Jul 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I wish Yankee Stadium had decent food (I’m vegetarian) and decent beer (I only drink craft beer made with love). I mean of course I don’t go there for the food, but I get cranky when it’s 9:30pm at the park and only the 4th inning and I’m starving and there’s really nothing that would satisfy me.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM

You’re going to freak out a meat eater. Shhhhhh.

15. gloccamorra - Jul 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Ah, the list is fake, more due to political correctness than anything else. Other groups have rated Petco Park as having the most options for vegetarians, but PETA probably ranks it last because they have antipathy to the company the park is named after.

16. foreverchipper10 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Well I’ve been to four of those parks and the only “vegan” thing I ate was some garlic fries in San Fran. Mmm…..garlic fries….*drool*

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2885)