Jul 21, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Sergio Santos saved 30 games for the White Sox in 2011 and then that offseason the Blue Jays acquired him to take over as their closer, but he’s been injured and ineffective since then and today Toronto designated him for assignment.
Santos figures to pass through waivers unclaimed by the other 29 teams because a) he’s got a 7.78 ERA in 28 appearances this season, and b) he’s owed about $1.5 million for the rest of this year with $750,000 in buyouts due on future team options. There’s a good chance he’ll wind up staying with the Blue Jays at Triple-A.
Santos is still just 30 years old and as recently as last year he threw 26 innings with a 1.75 ERA and 28/4 K/BB ratio, but the injuries have repeatedly derailed what had the potential be a very strong pitching career for the converted shortstop.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)