Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Evan Gattis is off the disabled list after missing the past four weeks with a bulging disk in his back and to make room for his return the Braves demoted fill-in catcher Christian Bethancourt to Triple-A.
Bethancourt got the bulk of the starts behind the plate with Gattis out, but the 22-year-old rookie hit just .240 with zero homers and a .543 OPS in 13 games along with a 14/2 K/BB ratio that suggests he was overmatched. His numbers in the minors have been similarly underwhelming of late.
Gattis, meanwhile, was having an All-Star caliber first half before the injury and dating back to his debut as a 26-year-old rookie last season he’s smacked 37 homers in 168 career games while posting an .821 OPS.
- The beauty of belief 21
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)