Clayton Kershaw nabbed the first stolen base of his career

Jul 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

clayton kershaw getty dodgers Getty Images

Tired of simply being the best pitcher in the world, Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw decided to start stealing bases last night.

After reaching first base on a fielder’s choice in the fourth inning, Kershaw took off for second base on Carlos Martinez‘s third pitch to Dee Gordon … and made it standing up, without a throw, when the pitch bounced away from the catcher.

It was the first stolen base of Kershaw’s career. Obviously.

Martinez gave zero effort to hold on Kershaw, so the big left-hander got a nice walking lead and just took off.

Also: There are 70 different position players with at least 150 plate appearances this season and zero steals.

1. tjvalley - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM

With all do respect to the national league and kershaws compete level, he is crazy to put himself at risk for injury for a stolen base. If it was a playoff game I might understand(still wouldn’t like it) but, the only thing I want the best pitcher in baseball to do for me if I was a manager is to be the best pitcher in baseball and leave the offensive risk taking to the position players. If I was the owner of the team I would mandate this.

• El Bravo - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM

You just don’t know how to win. Where’s your grit and determination, guy?

• twinfan24 - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:36 PM

tj, with all due respect, it’s “due”, not “do”.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

are you sure it’s not “doo”?

2. mungman69 - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Or duop

3. tjvalley - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

My mistake. Due…thank you. My English teaching wife thanks you too!!

• f.verd - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:05 PM

“…thanks you two”?

4. tjvalley - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Also, steals are a risk both for injuries and for getting out and hurting your chances of scoring. I’ve seen it a thousand times where a player hurts his hand sliding into a base. Not worth it for a pitcher IMO.

• yahmule - Jul 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I see what you’re saying and the people paying him $215 million probably gasped a little, but it was a total gimme. Clayton is insanely competitive. He prides himself on his hitting and baserunning. The guy played fullback in front of Matthew Stafford in high school. He doesn’t see himself as a frail pitcher.

• f.verd - Jul 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Yes, but can he also see himself on the shelf?

5. tjvalley - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Maybe he’s not frail. But he’s certainly a 215 million Dollar pitcher.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3731)