Jul 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
To be clear, this is not a trade rumor. This is more like matchmaking. The matchmaker is Ken Rosenthal and you gotta admit that he makes some good points here:
The Cubs are deep enough in position prospects to make the right offer. And the Cubs, though they don’t always act like it, play in a large market, which means they can afford Price’s projected $20 million salary next season.
Oh, and one other thing: When Price said at the All-Star Game that Chicago “would be the coolest city to win a championship in right now,” he wasn’t referring to the White Sox.
He adds that the Cubs hired Derek Johnson as the clubs’ minor league pitching coordinator a couple of years ago and Johnson used to be Price’s college pitching coach, but that’s superficial stuff. It’s the “CC Sabathia lives in California so of course he’ll sign with the [insert California team here]” of 2014. The better part is noting the the Cubs match up pretty well with the Rays in that they have a lot of hitting prospects that the Rays would no doubt covet.
It would be weird for a team as bad as the Cubs to make a trade for an ace that every contender would kill for right now, but it’s not like the Cubs are going to come up with a guy internally who will be as good as Price can be expected to be in 2016 when, I figure, is the earliest they can be legitimately interesting.
Then again, no one expected the Rays to be legitimately interesting as quickly as they were back in 2008.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)