Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Royals left-hander Jason Vargas underwent an appendectomy less than two weeks ago, but he could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Sunday against the Indians.
It would be a rapid turnaround, but Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Vargas made it through a 20-pitch bullpen session today. The Royals will likely see how he feels over the next couple of days before making an official announcement, but it sounds like a minor league rehab start might not be necessary before his return.
Vargas, who underwent an appendectomy on July 9, owns a 3.31 ERA and 82/29 K/BB ratio in 125 innings across 19 starts this season. He joined the Royals on a four-year, $32 million contract over the winter.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)