Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Royals left-hander Jason Vargas underwent an appendectomy less than two weeks ago, but he could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Sunday against the Indians.
It would be a rapid turnaround, but Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Vargas made it through a 20-pitch bullpen session today. The Royals will likely see how he feels over the next couple of days before making an official announcement, but it sounds like a minor league rehab start might not be necessary before his return.
Vargas, who underwent an appendectomy on July 9, owns a 3.31 ERA and 82/29 K/BB ratio in 125 innings across 19 starts this season. He joined the Royals on a four-year, $32 million contract over the winter.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)