Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Royals left-hander Jason Vargas underwent an appendectomy less than two weeks ago, but he could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Sunday against the Indians.
It would be a rapid turnaround, but Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Vargas made it through a 20-pitch bullpen session today. The Royals will likely see how he feels over the next couple of days before making an official announcement, but it sounds like a minor league rehab start might not be necessary before his return.
Vargas, who underwent an appendectomy on July 9, owns a 3.31 ERA and 82/29 K/BB ratio in 125 innings across 19 starts this season. He joined the Royals on a four-year, $32 million contract over the winter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Rangers call up power-hitting top prospect Joey Gallo 12
- American League All-Star voting update: Royals players still rule the roost 35
- Jose Fernandez cleared for rehab assignment in comeback from Tommy John surgery 10
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 150
- Johnny Cueto to return to Reds’ rotation Tuesday 3
- Khris Davis has a torn meniscus in his right knee 8
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (87)