Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Royals left-hander Jason Vargas underwent an appendectomy less than two weeks ago, but he could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Sunday against the Indians.
It would be a rapid turnaround, but Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Vargas made it through a 20-pitch bullpen session today. The Royals will likely see how he feels over the next couple of days before making an official announcement, but it sounds like a minor league rehab start might not be necessary before his return.
Vargas, who underwent an appendectomy on July 9, owns a 3.31 ERA and 82/29 K/BB ratio in 125 innings across 19 starts this season. He joined the Royals on a four-year, $32 million contract over the winter.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (86)