Jul 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Joel Peralta has been feeling sick since returning from a vacation to his home in the Dominican Republic during the All-Star break and the Rays reliever believes he contracted the chikungunya virus while there.
What’s the chikungunya virus? I had no idea, so I looked it up via the world’s most trusted source for everything, Wikipedia:
Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an arthropod-borne virus, of the genus Alphavirus, that is transmitted to humans by virus-carrying Aedes mosquitoes. CHIKV is transmitted similarly to dengue fever and causes an illness with an acute febrile phase lasting two to five days, followed by a longer period of joint pains in the extremities; this pain may persist for years in some cases.
Apparently there’s been an outbreak in the Dominican Republic recently, as Braves pitcher Ervin Santana has been tweeting about several of his family members being among the thousands of people effected. Oh, and “currently there is no specific treatment.” Woof.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays may place Peralta on the disabled list while he recovers.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (101)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)