Jul 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
This story is well known among Minnesotans, but I figured non-Twins fans might be amused by what happened on this date in 1988 (via the Chicago Tribine archive):
A personality conflict turned into a fistfight between Minnesota Twins left-fielder Dan Gladden and second baseman Steve Lombardozzi, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The altercation apparently took place Thursday night at Gladden`s home.
Lombardozzi arrived for Friday’s game with a black eye and scratches down the swollen left side of his face. Gladden suffered a cracked bone in his right ring finger. Neither of the combatants would comment Sunday. Manager Tom Kelly said he was aware of the incident. The problems between the players came to a head during Wednesday’s 9-7 loss to the Boston Red Sox when Kelly used a pinch-hitter for Lombardozzi.
Sources said Lombardozzi became upset and went to the clubhouse, a move that didn’t sit well with a couple of players, including Gladden. Lombardozzi is said to have gone to Gladden’s home to settle the differences when the fight started.
“They settled it like men,” Kelly said. “My understanding is that everything’s hunky dory.”
More like “little boys” than “men” really, but either way. Imagine a story like that happening today (and not involving Miguel Olivo).
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)