Jul 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
This story is well known among Minnesotans, but I figured non-Twins fans might be amused by what happened on this date in 1988 (via the Chicago Tribine archive):
A personality conflict turned into a fistfight between Minnesota Twins left-fielder Dan Gladden and second baseman Steve Lombardozzi, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The altercation apparently took place Thursday night at Gladden`s home.
Lombardozzi arrived for Friday’s game with a black eye and scratches down the swollen left side of his face. Gladden suffered a cracked bone in his right ring finger. Neither of the combatants would comment Sunday. Manager Tom Kelly said he was aware of the incident. The problems between the players came to a head during Wednesday’s 9-7 loss to the Boston Red Sox when Kelly used a pinch-hitter for Lombardozzi.
Sources said Lombardozzi became upset and went to the clubhouse, a move that didn’t sit well with a couple of players, including Gladden. Lombardozzi is said to have gone to Gladden’s home to settle the differences when the fight started.
“They settled it like men,” Kelly said. “My understanding is that everything’s hunky dory.”
More like “little boys” than “men” really, but either way. Imagine a story like that happening today (and not involving Miguel Olivo).
- The beauty of belief 18
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)