Jul 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
This story is well known among Minnesotans, but I figured non-Twins fans might be amused by what happened on this date in 1988 (via the Chicago Tribine archive):
A personality conflict turned into a fistfight between Minnesota Twins left-fielder Dan Gladden and second baseman Steve Lombardozzi, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The altercation apparently took place Thursday night at Gladden`s home.
Lombardozzi arrived for Friday’s game with a black eye and scratches down the swollen left side of his face. Gladden suffered a cracked bone in his right ring finger. Neither of the combatants would comment Sunday. Manager Tom Kelly said he was aware of the incident. The problems between the players came to a head during Wednesday’s 9-7 loss to the Boston Red Sox when Kelly used a pinch-hitter for Lombardozzi.
Sources said Lombardozzi became upset and went to the clubhouse, a move that didn’t sit well with a couple of players, including Gladden. Lombardozzi is said to have gone to Gladden’s home to settle the differences when the fight started.
“They settled it like men,” Kelly said. “My understanding is that everything’s hunky dory.”
More like “little boys” than “men” really, but either way. Imagine a story like that happening today (and not involving Miguel Olivo).
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (151)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)