Jul 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
This story is well known among Minnesotans, but I figured non-Twins fans might be amused by what happened on this date in 1988 (via the Chicago Tribine archive):
A personality conflict turned into a fistfight between Minnesota Twins left-fielder Dan Gladden and second baseman Steve Lombardozzi, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. The altercation apparently took place Thursday night at Gladden`s home.
Lombardozzi arrived for Friday’s game with a black eye and scratches down the swollen left side of his face. Gladden suffered a cracked bone in his right ring finger. Neither of the combatants would comment Sunday. Manager Tom Kelly said he was aware of the incident. The problems between the players came to a head during Wednesday’s 9-7 loss to the Boston Red Sox when Kelly used a pinch-hitter for Lombardozzi.
Sources said Lombardozzi became upset and went to the clubhouse, a move that didn’t sit well with a couple of players, including Gladden. Lombardozzi is said to have gone to Gladden’s home to settle the differences when the fight started.
“They settled it like men,” Kelly said. “My understanding is that everything’s hunky dory.”
More like “little boys” than “men” really, but either way. Imagine a story like that happening today (and not involving Miguel Olivo).
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)