Jul 21, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Following his release on Friday, Dan Uggla cleared waivers today and became a free agent. Ken Rosenthal says he already has a home:
Source: Uggla to #SFGiants.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 21, 2014
Not shocking given the Giants’ clear need at second base and the fact that, from the moment Uggla was no longer a Brave, reports started popping up about the Giants’ interest in him.
Can’t beat the price. With the Braves on the hook for the nearly $19 million left on his contract through next season, he’ll be paid a pro-rated amount of the big league minimum. For that money it’s at least worth a shot to see if a change of scenery can get Uggla to at least approach his old form. It’s not the Giants haven’t had some success with this approach in the past. See, Pat Burrell, Aubrey Huff, etc.
Uggla is hitting .162/.241/.231 on the season and lost his job to rookie Tommy LaStella.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)