Jul 21, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Following his release on Friday, Dan Uggla cleared waivers today and became a free agent. Ken Rosenthal says he already has a home:
Source: Uggla to #SFGiants.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 21, 2014
Not shocking given the Giants’ clear need at second base and the fact that, from the moment Uggla was no longer a Brave, reports started popping up about the Giants’ interest in him.
Can’t beat the price. With the Braves on the hook for the nearly $19 million left on his contract through next season, he’ll be paid a pro-rated amount of the big league minimum. For that money it’s at least worth a shot to see if a change of scenery can get Uggla to at least approach his old form. It’s not the Giants haven’t had some success with this approach in the past. See, Pat Burrell, Aubrey Huff, etc.
Uggla is hitting .162/.241/.231 on the season and lost his job to rookie Tommy LaStella.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 11
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 10
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)