Shin-Soo Choo regrets playing through ankle injury

Jul 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT

Shin-Soo Choo AP AP

The Rangers had high hopes when they signed outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to a seven-year, $130 million contract over the winter, but a lingering injury to his left ankle is a major reason why his first season with Texas has been a bust.

Choo sprained his ankle on April 21 when he landed on first base awkwardly while trying to beat out an infield hit. While the 32-year-old ended up missing a week of action, he didn’t go on the disabled list. Choo told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this afternoon that if he could do it all over again, he wishes that he had taken some extra time to heal.

“I made a bad decision,” Choo said. “I should have had more rest instead of trying to come back as soon as possible.”

The injury has continued to be a factor, even forcing Choo to serve as the DH while the Rangers were in Toronto over the weekend. He returned to the outfield tonight, but he did so in right field in order to take some stress off the ankle. Choo’s production on offense has undoubtedly suffered, as he’s batting just .239/.355/.370 with nine home runs and 34 RBI over 94 games. He only has three stolen bases for the year and hasn’t attempted one since May 24.

On the bright side, Choo snapped out of a career-worst 0-for-22 hitless streak tonight against the Yankees. But he still has a long way to go in order to redeem his season.

1. edelmanfanclub - Jul 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Gotta monitor if he has strong 2nd half, he’ll be worth it for them on 2015, if so.

2. jadaruler - Jul 22, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I regret the Rangers will be paying over 37 million a year for two guys (Fielder and Choo) to split the DH role in 2 years

3. racksie - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Gosh. It’s almost like the majority of these long term, high dollars deals end up being busts. Weird. I mean the Angels are paying three guys about 54 million this year. And one isn’t even on their team. Heck he isn’t even playing the Yankees. Vernon Wells is at home collecting a cool $17 million for nothing. But at least Hamilton and Pujols are living up the their current salary…..maybe.

4. renaado - Jul 22, 2014 at 3:09 AM

I think the probable reason on why Choo continued playin through his injury is because one of the commentators of the MBC Entertainment from South Korea compared him to Chan Ho Park when Chan Ho signed with the Rangers, also signed through a contract similar to Choo then got injured… When the commentator brought that to the conversation that a chance for Choo becomin like the injured Park Chan Ho irritates him… As far from what I see in Choo’s body language durin that time, you can surely tell.

Choo Shin-Soo wants to show and prove to anyone especially to his countrymen that he can play through it…( However, it didn’t worked out as well for others who tried it… And Choo’s no exemption to it.) Still he tried, I knew the personality of these guys, they have a lot of pride and always play through difficult circumstances same to Japanese players… And certainly failure is no option to em, Choo made a mistake… and I’m positive he realized that before hand since the injury started. “Regret will always be late, till the moment we realized it”

I’m hoping that he’ll recover soon.

The part where he was compared is in one of these videos.

• infieldhit - Jul 22, 2014 at 3:25 AM

I think it happens to pro athletes from anywhere. Part of it is an image/macho thing, but part of it is legitimately not wanting to let down your team. And it’s hard for players to think about what’s best in the long-term.

Anyway, given all the other injuries Texas has been plagued with, he shouldn’t feel like he alone will cost the team from making the playoffs.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:48 AM

No disrespect to you there bud, but… Don’t ever compare a Korean chink dog eater to us, ever seen what happened to their national team when they came back? That’s no pride, AND YOU KNOW THAT. We “may” play the same in “WHAT” you said. But our objective is different. This guy is playing cause he is SCARED to fail… He don’t want the same thing to happen to him that his fellow losers our getting.

• renaado - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:20 AM

No disrespect too… But, you’re bein ass. What’s with the animosity? If you don’t have anything better to say rather than insults comin from you on the way you talk about players/races you don’t like then it’s better to shut up.

• section138 - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Mmmm… Nothing quite like a side of racism to go with my breakfast!

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Renaado, whoa dude calm down! What animosity? They’re dog eaters, I should have said kimchi’s not “chinks” if you don’t want that kind of word then.

• racksie - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Ahhh….racism. Known the world over….Wow. Pretty sure that should get him banned. We shall see.

• koasusa - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM

whasup with this two faced Jap Chink….
        or whale eating sushi-meister…
        puhaha…sorry folks
        guess this chink thinks it’s cool to diss another chink this way..

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Go stick a pole in your ass!

5. yahmule - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM

And what about the Dutch? Wooden shoes. Are you ****ing kidding me?

6. candymamamama - Jul 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I am a Korean but I’m not gonna come to Choo’s defense. I do wish him all the luck but he needs to stop talking all BS about his bad ankle in excuses for his terrible plays– his terrible plays= his ankle. I don’t buy it. He was too quick to boast of his contract with Rangers with all Korean media channels knowing how a tough new season was awaiting for him. Instead of humbling himlself and get preapred for grueling games to prove who he claims to be, he went onto have interrviews , saying how much money he’ll be pocketing after all the taxes and blah blah blah. Very disappointing. I posted a concern on Korean newspaper blog before the season and ,omg, these fans were ready murder me. Well take a look now! And money does something funny to you ,I guess, because his wife seems to be totally obsessed with total plastic transformation. Compare her old picture and now. It really makes you laugh!!

Ace-killer Giants do it again