Jul 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Rangers had high hopes when they signed outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to a seven-year, $130 million contract over the winter, but a lingering injury to his left ankle is a major reason why his first season with Texas has been a bust.
Choo sprained his ankle on April 21 when he landed on first base awkwardly while trying to beat out an infield hit. While the 32-year-old ended up missing a week of action, he didn’t go on the disabled list. Choo told Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this afternoon that if he could do it all over again, he wishes that he had taken some extra time to heal.
“I made a bad decision,” Choo said. “I should have had more rest instead of trying to come back as soon as possible.”
The injury has continued to be a factor, even forcing Choo to serve as the DH while the Rangers were in Toronto over the weekend. He returned to the outfield tonight, but he did so in right field in order to take some stress off the ankle. Choo’s production on offense has undoubtedly suffered, as he’s batting just .239/.355/.370 with nine home runs and 34 RBI over 94 games. He only has three stolen bases for the year and hasn’t attempted one since May 24.
On the bright side, Choo snapped out of a career-worst 0-for-22 hitless streak tonight against the Yankees. But he still has a long way to go in order to redeem his season.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)