Ubaldo Jimenez scratched from rehab start

Jul 21, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Ubaldo Jimenez AP AP

There was a thing over the weekend where A.J. Burnett was rumored to be on the Orioles’ radar and the joke some were making was about how having him on the same pitching staff would be terribad, and represent the most 3/4 starter rotation ever, etc.

I don’t know if Burnett will join the O’s but if he does it may not be with Jimenez for a while as he has been scratched from a rehab start that was scheduled for this Wednesday.

The Baltimore Sun reports that Jimenez felt some lingering discomfort in his sprained right ankle Sunday while attempting to throw a bullpen session. “I’m not where I should be to be able to go into a game,” the right-hander told reporters. “I’ll throw another bullpen and go from there. Looks like he’ll be ruled out until August at the earliest.

Which, hey, the O’s signing him was premised almost entirely on his August-September performance last year, so maybe then they’ll get what they’re paying for!

1. eutawmike - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

say it isn’t so,Ubaldo

2. gargamelsmentor - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

And this is why Angelos rarely pays for multi-year high priced free agent contracts…..whenever he does, he gets burned.

• karlkolchak - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM

‘Cept nearly everyone who follows baseball considered this signing a bad idea at the time. This is no “hindsight is 20/20″ situation.

3. sulkaman - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

What a waste of money this ass hat was.

4. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 21, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I know I’ve been getting beat down for my stance of “it’s too soon to call the Ubaldo signing terrible” but I think this is for the best. Rest it up and don’t rush back. And despite a longer than expected time on the shelf, I STILL don’t think Burnett is the answer. At all. And it’s not just because he spurned Baltimore this past offseason! I think the O’s are better off going with Tillman-Gonzalez-Chen-Norris-Gausman for now. Replacing Gausman with Burnett improves the team how exactly? (and don’t point to last nights result as if it’s typical of Gausman, who has allowed only 1 run in 4 of his 7 appearances this year). Not worth the prospects. Period.

5. dowhatifeellike - Jul 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM