Jul 22, 2014, 6:33 AM EDT
Apologies for an abbreviated version of ATH this morning. Chalk this one up to a first-thing-in-the-morning, first-ever orthodontist appointment for the official daughter of HardballTalk. She’s totally cool with it, of course. I’ve been in a fetal position regarding how much the braces are gonna cost me for about 72 hours right now. Guess I shouldn’t have gave in on that dental plan and gone with the keg every union meeting during the last NBC-HBT collective bargaining session. Though really Gleeman, Pouliot, Short, Silva and Baer are the ones who pushed for it. They don’t have kids.
Anyway, Adam Jones had a great night, smacking two two-run homers as the O’s west coast swing continues. David Ortiz had two of his own and he passed Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time homer list. The Yankees committed five errors in a loss that, based on the Twitter convo among Yankees people, may constitute that cold bucket of water in the face that convinces them that, no, the Yankees aren’t gonna be doing much contending in the second half. Hyun-Jin Ryu notched his 11th win, giving the Dodgers three starters with 11.
See you later this morning.
Orioles 4, Angels 2
Giants 7, Phillies 4
Rangers 4, Yankees 2
Dodgers 5, Pirates 2
Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 1
Marlins 3, Braves 1
White Sox 3, Royals 1
Brewers 5, Reds 2
Twins 4, Indians 3
Nationals 7, Rockies 2
Tigers 4, Diamondback 3
Mariners 5, Mets 2
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)