And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jul 22, 2014, 6:33 AM EDT

Adam Jones AP

Apologies for an abbreviated version of ATH this morning. Chalk this one up to a first-thing-in-the-morning, first-ever orthodontist appointment for the official daughter of HardballTalk. She’s totally cool with it, of course. I’ve been in a fetal position regarding how much the braces are gonna cost me for about 72 hours right now. Guess I shouldn’t have gave in on that dental plan and gone with the keg every union meeting during the last NBC-HBT collective bargaining session. Though really Gleeman, Pouliot, Short, Silva and Baer are the ones who pushed for it. They don’t have kids.

Anyway, Adam Jones had a great night, smacking two two-run homers as the O’s west coast swing continues. David Ortiz had two of his own and he passed Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time homer list. The Yankees committed five errors in a loss that, based on the Twitter convo among Yankees people, may constitute that cold bucket of water in the face that convinces them that, no, the Yankees aren’t gonna be doing much contending in the second half. Hyun-Jin Ryu notched his 11th win, giving the Dodgers three starters with 11.

See you later this morning.

Orioles 4, Angels 2
Giants 7, Phillies 4
Rangers 4, Yankees 2
Dodgers 5, Pirates 2
Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 1
Marlins 3, Braves 1
White Sox 3, Royals 1
Brewers 5, Reds 2
Twins 4, Indians 3
Nationals 7, Rockies 2
Tigers 4, Diamondback 3
Mariners 5, Mets 2

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

1. Eutaw's Finest - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:06 AM

3 things I took away from last nights O’s/Angels game:

1. Adam Jones may be a free swinging, hacking, no sense of strike zone kinda hitter but man oh man, when he gets on a tear? LOOK OUT!

2. Mike Trout is not afraid to get in an umps face. Twice. And not get thrown out? Hmmm….

3. The bottom 5 in the O’s lineup (Davis, Hardy, Machado, Hundley, Schoop) went 0 for 16 with 10 K’s. Ew. Just… ew. We need a 2B before the deadline. I was all for leaving Schoop up to grow but that bat is abysmal and is only hurting this team at this point. Send him down and let him further develop.

• clydeserra - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM

those were two aggressive moves by trout. I don’t like umpires kicking guys out for grousing about balls and strikes, but I have seen players get booted for far far less.

• nbjays - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Usually when an ump knows he blew a call, he’ll try to avoid running a guy for bitching about it.

• clydeserra - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:14 AM

the ump blew neither call

• nbjays - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I dunno, I didn’t see either one. I was just stating a reason why someone would NOT get the heave-ho for arguing ball-strike calls.

• emdash01 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM

The first at-bat’s strike three wasn’t a strike, though I suppose you could argue it was close enough to take. The second at-bat he got mad about the ump got it right, I thought.

• clydeserra - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM

just looked at brooks. you’re right. its outside by about an inch.

still, I have seen both batters and pitchers do less to be thrown out. Trout turned and argued and gestured during the first strikeout, and for the second one he turned and walked up to the umpire. He yelled for a good 20 seconds, so much so, scioscia had to come out of the dugout.

again, I don;t want umpires dictating who gets to play, but any non superstar gets tossed at that point.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:28 AM

While the 1st K was on a strike out of the zone, it’s an adjustment hitters need to make. At that point in the game you know whether the ump is calling a tight zone or giving the pitchers a little more up top, or in this case below the knees. If it’s close and you know he’s calling a fat zone? You don’t take it. And you surely don’t complain as if this was some anomaly throughout the game.

• psuorioles - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I will agree with Trout, the first time he was called out, it appeared to be off the plate… but the 2nd one was absolutely a strike and should have been called and was surprised he didn’t get tossed.

• emdash01 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Yeah, as a Nats fan…Bryce Harper’s been tossed for much less.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM

1) It’s crazy, for all his free swinging ways, he SHOULD be hitting much worse than he is, but somehow he makes it work. It’s really scary. Unfortunately his ways have rubbed off onto other players who can’t seem to get the job done the same.

2) The rules aren’t the same for the next golden boy of MLB. Funny how you are the only one who’s even mentioned Trout’s antics today.

3) The time for excuses is over. Davis needs to step it up. NOW. Hardy and Machado will be fine, just a terrible night. I fully agree with you on Schoop. He isn’t living up to his promise, and Flaherty isn’t the answer either.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM

It’s just funny to me. Davis has Boras as his agent right? And Boras told Davis to sit on any contract talks until he hit FA to help him get more money… now look how much he’s effectively losing. A TON. I surely don’t expect him back here. I’d much rather sign Pearce to play 1B for years to come at this point. He’s shown consistency, power, patience and adjusts to shifts/pitchers. And he’ll cost much less, making Uncle Pete more likely to have a shot bringing Cruz back.

No brainer.

2. natstowngreg - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Nationals 7, Rockies 2 — Nats scored runs in Denver, duh. Ian Desmond, 5 hits, including 2-run homer, now that’s news…Danny Espinosa, rare start, doubled and tripled…Doug Fister and sinker doin’ OK against depleted Rockies lineup until 6th, when too many sinkers blooped into outfield for hits…CarGo hurt again; remarkably, remained in game…Nats up one over Braves in NL East, 0.5 over Giants for NL best record.

3. johnnysoda - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:25 AM

And That Happened: Monday Edition

Rangers 4, Yankees 2: Shane Greene completely forgot how to play defense, committing three out of the Yankees’ five errors. That contributed to a two-run loss to Texas, which is the equivalent of a forty-run loss to any other MLB team.

Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 1- It was a total massacre of the Jays by Boston, as Drew Hutchison (2 2/3 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, 0 BB, 2 K) and Brad Mills (2 IP, 7 H, 8 ER, 1 BB, 3 K) were both completely shellacked by the Sox. David Ortiz passed “Yaz” on the all-time home run list with two shots and Stephen Drew drove in four runs. Mike Napoli was also a triple short of the cycle, but that doesn’t mean much, considering no one would ever confuse Napoli for a triples machine.

Giants 7, Phillies 4- Cliff Lee came off the DL and was not very good in doing so (5 2/3 IP, 12 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 3 K). Hardly a good audition for other teams if he wants to be traded to a contender. Ex-Phillie Hunter Pence had three hits and two RBI.

Marlins 3, Braves 1- It was a tight battle until the tenth, when Garrett Jones had a two-run single to give the Marlins a lead they kept until the end. This ruined a sharp effort from Julio Tehran (7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K).

Nationals 7, Rockies 2- This win, coupled with the Braves loss, gives the Nationals a one-game lead in the NL East. Ian Desmond was the offensive star, getting five hits and scoring three times. On the flip side, the Rockies have lost six in a row.

Dodgers 5, Pirates 2- The Pirates had a six-game home winning streak snapped, as the Dodgers jumped out to a 5-0 lead after the fourth. Both major NL West teams on a game in Pennsylvania last night, keeping both clubs tied atop the division.

Brewers 5, Reds 2- Same deal as the Pittsburgh contest- the Brewers had a 5-0 lead after the fourth inning, gave up two runs to the opponents, but held on anyway. Jean Segura tripled and scored on an error and Ryan Braun had a two-run double to lead the offensive charge.

Twins 4, Indians 3- It was a night for the unsung hero- in this case, Kurt Suzuki, who had three hits and drove in two. After taking the first three games out of the All-Star break, the Indians have lost two in a row.

White Sox 3, Royals 1- Four straight losses for the Royals, who have dropped two games under .500 (48-50). They, after once leading the AL Central, are now eight games behind the leading Tigers. Hard knock life, it is.

Tigers 4, Diamondbacks 3- Justin Verlander turned in a solid outing (6 2/3 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K). He did not get a hit, however, lowering his batting average on the year to a mere .333.

Orioles 4, Angels 2- Possible ALCS Preview?!?!?!?!?! Hey, it’s possible the way these guys are playing. Adam Jones was single-handedly responsible for the win here, with two two-run home runs. Coupled with that win and the Yankees’ and Blue Jays’ losses, the O’s are now in first place by four games.

Mariners 5, Mets 2- David Wright celebrated the ten-year anniversary of his debut with an RBI single in the third inning. Unfortunately, it was not enough to pick up the rest of his club, who lost their third straight game.

• philliesblow - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM

So-da! So-da! So-da!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Well that escalated rather quickly. Hutchinson has very good numbers while pitching on the road, but Colby Lewis like numbers while pitching at home. Mills was even worse. The recently claimed Mills does not have much job security. The final 2 relief pitchers used by the Jays enhanced their job status. On a positive note, the Jays were able to give Melky and Reyes some rest as they were removed from the game once it got out of hand. For the Red Sox, I was very impressed by a catch made by Holt who for some unknown reason was playing in right field.

• therealtrenches - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Nice work Johnny.

“Orioles 4, Angels 2- Possible ALCS Preview?!?!?!?!?!”

Back in April, I never woulda thunk it, but here we are.

• clydeserra - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Mills had one bad outing with the A’s. It was against the red sox. He was lucky to give up only 4 in 2 innings there. A’s ended up winning the game.

• nbjays - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Holt has been impressive everywhere they have played him. And that has been everywhere…. as Tabby mentioned last night on the broadcast, he has started games in 7 different positions for the Red Sox. Or, as Buck put it, he done everything for Boston but pitch, catch and take tickets.

• southpaw2k - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If Orioles/Angels is an ALCS preview, I would like the Orioles’ chances a whole heck of a lot more than if they were facing the A’s. I want no part of Oakland the rest of the way through October.

• nvl004 - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM

With the One Game Wild Card you never really know what could happen. If things play out the way they are right now. two of those western teams will have to play each other in a one game scenario. If The Angels were to overtake the division, and the A’s have to face King Felix in a winner take all, i know who my money is on.

4. mreezybreezy - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Dental plan!

• therealtrenches - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:15 AM

“they have the plant…but we have the power.”

• edouble86 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Thanks a lot, Carl. Now I’ve lost my train of thought!

• number42is1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Lisa Needs Braces

5. therealtrenches - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM

“‘Lisa needs braces…’ ‘Dental plan’…’Lisa needs braces…’ ‘Dental plan…'”

Craig, I was looking forward to seeing what you would say about Cliff Lee’s rather meh outing. One thing’s for sure. We can count on RAJ to wait until a guy has little to no value before deciding to shop him.

I hope the kid’s teeth aren’t too crooked.

• sdelmonte - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Great. You made me lose my train of thought!

6. Joe - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I’m not sure which is more difficult to comprehend – that the Yankees committed five errors without giving up an unearned run, or that the Rangers put JP Arencibia at first base and BATTED HIM CLEANUP and still managed to win the game.

• clydeserra - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM

yeah, what is up with that?Are we saying there is noone that can play firstbase that is looking for a job?

• kevinbnyc - Jul 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing that atrocity in person. Far and away the worst baseball game I’ve ever watched.

• Shayna - Jul 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Seems only fair, given the wildly unearned win that the Yanks received gift-wrapped on the uncalled fielding error yesterday. Nice to see the scales of justice balanced so tidily and quickly.

7. rje49 - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM

It seems like hitting the baseball is a concept returning to the Red Sox. I wonder if things are finally turning around? Nah, but I do recall 1988, where they stood at 43-42 at the AS break, then reeled off wins in 19 of 20.

• dan1111 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM

The Sox are a flawed team, but they are in a division full of flawed teams. Don’t count them out just yet.

8. 18thstreet - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM

The reverse curse of the AJP works its magic.

My theory is, the Red Sox are never going to lose another game.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Thanks. You just jinxed them.

9. nbjays - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Craig, a dental plan is the way to go. Take it from one who, until just recently, had TWO kids in braces at the same time.

• hk62 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I moved (Texas to Wisconsin) in the middle of both of my kids “braces time” – told the Ortho in TX to find one in WI that used the all the same stuff, so we could just continue – sorry, that person did not exist – so I got the pleasure of paying for braces on both kids TWICE (with Dental plans both times – which wacked $2K total off both times, 1K each). Braces suck.
      And feel free to get in the Ortho’s face about how long its taking and everything they are doing – I didn’t know crap about braces or how they work, but if I’m paying that much I figured they could educate me – tech’s used to ask my kids if their dad was there or their mom – LOL. The kids did not like me taking them to the Ortho.
      And another tip – retainers, see if they don’t wear them (for like 2 years – orthodontics is still in the dark ages I guess), their teeth become un-straight (is there a better term?) again – so we had fees. Two consecutive days without wearing it and it cost $5, which multiplied by 2 every additional day. Once they get to night wearing only its easier – also planned to make them buy the replacement sets when they “lost” them, but turns out the Ortho built 3 replacements into the original costs – to which I inquired if I would have received a refund had they not needed to be replaced – “Of course not, we would have just made new ones anyway to keep optimal pressure on the teeth.” Dude – if their mouth is still changing in size, why did we start the braces so early? (They seriously hate me – I love it!)

One of my friends in Texas got to buy his daughter’s braces twice as well (same Ortho both times) – because she didn’t wear the retainer.

• dan1111 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM

No one ever died from funny looking teeth.

10. penguins87and71 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM

The Pirates are in a weird situation this year, they are contenders, and in my opinion are a playoff team. I don’t think however they can truly contend for a World Series, they are a team that is still pretty young, and that is still growing as a team, and still learning.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3713)