Jul 22, 2014, 6:33 AM EST
Apologies for an abbreviated version of ATH this morning. Chalk this one up to a first-thing-in-the-morning, first-ever orthodontist appointment for the official daughter of HardballTalk. She’s totally cool with it, of course. I’ve been in a fetal position regarding how much the braces are gonna cost me for about 72 hours right now. Guess I shouldn’t have gave in on that dental plan and gone with the keg every union meeting during the last NBC-HBT collective bargaining session. Though really Gleeman, Pouliot, Short, Silva and Baer are the ones who pushed for it. They don’t have kids.
Anyway, Adam Jones had a great night, smacking two two-run homers as the O’s west coast swing continues. David Ortiz had two of his own and he passed Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time homer list. The Yankees committed five errors in a loss that, based on the Twitter convo among Yankees people, may constitute that cold bucket of water in the face that convinces them that, no, the Yankees aren’t gonna be doing much contending in the second half. Hyun-Jin Ryu notched his 11th win, giving the Dodgers three starters with 11.
See you later this morning.
Orioles 4, Angels 2
Giants 7, Phillies 4
Rangers 4, Yankees 2
Dodgers 5, Pirates 2
Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 1
Marlins 3, Braves 1
White Sox 3, Royals 1
Brewers 5, Reds 2
Twins 4, Indians 3
Nationals 7, Rockies 2
Tigers 4, Diamondback 3
Mariners 5, Mets 2
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40