Jul 22, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Darwin Barney logged 500-plus plate appearances for the Cubs each season from 2011-2013 and was the Opening Day second baseman this year, but today he was designated for assignment to make roster room for Emilio Bonifacio‘s return from the disabled list.
Barney is a good defender, but he’s hit just .244 with a .625 OPS in 542 career games as a big leaguer, including .230 with a .594 OPS in 72 games this year. At age 28 he doesn’t have any real upside, but should be able to latch on somewhere as a utility infielder.
His being let go suggests the Cubs are ready to stick with 22-year-old rookie Arismendy Alcantara at second base after initially calling him up two weeks ago as temporary roster depth. In fact, his debut came specifically because Barney went on paternity leave. Alcantara has batted .286 with six extra-base hits and three steals in eight games and if the Cubs do decide to send him back to the minors at some point they could always just turn to Bonifacio at second base.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 0
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 55
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (239)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)