Don Mattingly considering putting Yasiel Puig in center field, even though “he’s out of control”

Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

With Yasiel Puig out of the lineup because of a bruised left hand, Matt Kemp played right field for the Dodgers last night. And after the game he said he liked it and that it felt natural for him. With Puig due to come back soon, what happens? Dylan Hernandez reports that Don Mattingly is considering putting Puig in center.

Which leads to the question of why Puig, who is easily the most athletic guy in the Dodgers’ outfield, hasn’t been playing center anyway:

I think we need a reboot of “Top Gun” with Puig as Maverick and, I dunno, Adrian Gonzalez as Iceman.

1. crispybasil - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Dammit, Puig! You destroyed three city blocks while nabbing that perp! Why can’t you do things according to the unwritten rules!

• aceshigh11 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Yasiel Puig as Martin “Lethal Weapon” Riggs and Don Mattingly as the exasperated Captain Murphy?

I can see it.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Those blocks were already messed up!

• rexgrossman8 - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Nice Rush Hour reference.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Ha. I can’t believe anyone would get it. I only saw the movie once, but that line really stuck with me.

• stephenlin - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

You’re off the force, Puig! Turn in your gun and badge!

2. raysfan1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM

“That’s right! Ice…man. I am dangerous.”

• aceshigh11 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM

“You’re everyone’s problem. That’s because every time you take the field in center, you’re unsafe. I don’t like you because you’re dangerous.”

3. dowhatifeellike - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Why would Mattingly even admit that? Keeping Puig “under control” is part of his job.

4. baberuthslegs - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM

What did Mattingly mean by “out of control”?

5. robmoore - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

“I know what you’re thinking, punk. You’re thinking, I can advance to third base on this single, and he may throw the baseball into the Pacific Ocean, or he may throw me out. Now to tell you the truth I’m not su sure myself. But seeing as this arm could probably throw you out trying for third base clean over in San Diego, you’ve gotta ask yourself a question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?”

• pacnwsailor - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Ok now that’s funny

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Good ole but banned Dirty Harry would have loved your comment. In a way, I miss that pea brain.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Maybe one of his dis-associated alter ego’s is Socraticgadfly ?

6. geejon - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

They need to stop wasting time, cut bait with at least 1 if not 2 from the Kemp/Ethier/Crawford group, and call up Joc Pederson and let him play CF. He would give them the spark they need in the field and at the plate and they would rid themselves of the daily headaches/distractions coming from that group of overpaid/entitled/past-their-primes players.

Work a buyout or deal them while eating most of the salary … I don’t care … just do SOMETHING. They keep waiting, hoping 1 or 2 of these guys will turn it around but they won’t and the season is moving along and before you know it we’ll be at the stretch run and they’ll still be waiting on those of those guys to get hot.

Joc could be for the squad what Puig was last year yet rather than make that move they’re content to move around the chairs on the deck of the Titanic by moving Puig to CF (like that will change anything) rather than doing the obvious.

• lanflfan - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I imagine Colletti would have already traded at least one of Either, Kemp or Crawford but it is extremely likely that, even with Gugenheim throwing a couple of armored trucks of money into a deal, all the other teams are offering in return is a used jock strap. And I am pretty sure even Colletti isn’t stupid enough to fall for that one (I think).

• elmo - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Word, geejohn. Unload Crawford and Ethier, eat the money, and let Van Slyke and/or Pederson play. Chances that will actually happen? With all the egos and dollars in play, probably negligible.

7. sportsfan18 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Fellas,

Good work with the movie tie ins…

But we need a female to play the role that Kelly McGillis did.

• darman55 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Handley Ramirez?

• twinfan24 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Not only not a woman, but you can’t even spell his name right.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Not a woman? Thanks for that clarification.

8. stlouis1baseball - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM

If I am Don Mattingly…Puig is already in center. Kemp in left, Either in right and Puig in Center.
    What’s the worst thing that can happen? Miss-judged fly balls, air mailing cutoffs, etc…?
    He already does that. It is happening right now!
    Dude is an athlete. 100% stud. Put him in Center!

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

The only downside I can see is that the likelihood of a devastating collision with a fellow OFer would double.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Typical classy Cardinals fan comment. You have every right to hate the Dodgers but you don’t. Best fans in baseball, indeed!

• jimmyt - Jul 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM

What is wrong with you? Puig is “out of control”, it’s part of what makes him fun to watch but the comment that collisions in the outfield would double is spot on.

9. crillbill - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I’m a huge dodger fan. But this team plays 6 guys out of position on a nightly basis. That won’t bode well come playoff team. It’s a terrible defensive team. Joc might help but also Hanley is a terrible fielder. I’ve never really seen a team built with such great pitching and such terrible defense.

10. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with gloves. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Hernandez? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Kemp, and you curse the Dodgers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Kemps death, while tragic, probably saved runs. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves runs. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like emotion, code, respect. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very entertainment that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a glove, and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM

VERY good.

11. moogro - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Put me in coach, I’m ready to play, shwock shwock-shwock-schwock, today.
    Look at me, I can be, centerfield.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Reminds me of a song by the great John Fogerty.

12. theebbandflow - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Applause for all the film references. Nice work, fellas.

13. AskADoctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I think Puig can cover Center AND LEFT! That way the Dodgers can put a Wingman next to Ramirez at Short, because Hanley is to NL shortstops what Jeter is to AL shortstops. Play the 5th infielder between Hanley and Uribe and he takes all the balls neither one of them get to, which is a lot

14. campcouch - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I guess there haven’t been any Puig shenanigans lately so Mattingly needed to fire him up.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4405)