Giants broadcaster Mike Krukow has a degenerative muscle disease

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Krukow and Kuiper

The diagnosis is not new — he was first diagnosed eight years ago — but Giants broadcaster and former big league pitcher Mike Krukow has publicly revealed that he has a non-fatal degenerative muscle disease. From the Chronicle:

Krukow, 62, has kept his condition a secret, but now he’s ready to reveal that he’s suffering from a degenerative muscle disease called inclusion-body myosotis. IBM causes progressive weakness in the muscles of the wrist and fingers, the front of the thigh, and the muscles that lift the front of the foot. There’s no cure and no solid theory for what causes it.

It has caused him to fall down and he now wears braces on his legs for support. He may need a walker or a scooter eventually.

The key takeaway here, and maybe a big part of why Krukow is now going public, is that he was in denial about it for a long time. Men, especially athletes, but really all men, tend to react that way to medical issues. Take the “eh, I can deal” approach when maybe they can’t. I know I have. Good to see Krukow sloughing that off now. Maybe it’ll encourage other men to pay closer attention to what their bodies tell them as they get older.

1. seanwasamarine - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Oh

2. bronco58lb - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Sit down in your scooter, meat!

3. karlkolchak - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Well, thank goodness it isn’t ALS at least.

4. thisdamnbox - Jul 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Even their broadcaster and a coach have spent time on the DL this year…You’re in our thoughts, Krukow…

5. adeedothatswho - Jul 22, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Kruk is the best. Wishing the best for him.

6. hcf95688 - Jul 22, 2014 at 1:52 PM

I wonder if his alcoholism is a contributing factor.

7. steve@bayintegratedmarketing.com - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM

hcf – lots of class.
    He is not an alcoholic. Hell, I had cocktails with him once when he was still pitching and he is normal as hell. What was abnormal was that he gave me his home phone number and told me to call him any time for tickets. He is one of the genuinely nicest people I’ve ever met. I agree, grab some scooter – meat! As long as you can still talk, we need you out there!!!

8. garlicfriesandbaseball - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Reblogged this on Garlicfriesandbaseball's Blog and commented:
    This is sad news. I’ve been following baseball forever but I’ve learned more about the game from listening to Mike Krukow, the Giants color analyst, than from any other source. Mike has such a quick wit about him with his nightly “grab some pine meat!” and pitch-by-pitch comments. So much so it’s necessitated an actual “Kructionary” website. See Baseball’s Almanac take on Kruk and his illuminary sayings: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=krukomi01

9. rpearlston - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I have one note to add here. Scooters are difficult to impossible to use when you hands/fingers are weakened by anything. I have multiple types of arthritis, including just about every joint in both wrists and hands. I used a scooter, once, to bring to a friend who was hospitalized at the time. It wasn’t easy to do, and my wrists and hands were painful for days afterwards. I can’t imagine using one on a daily basis because of that. I already know that if I get to the point that I need more help than my walker (those types of arthritis, between them, involve just about every part of my body), I’ll have to skip scooters and go directly to power wheelchairs. Mr Krukow may need the same thing in the future.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3524)