Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement

Jul 22, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

For years Bud Selig’s presumed heir as commissioner was Rob Manfred. He handled CBA negotiations several times. Selig made him Chief Operating Officer last year. He was made A-Rod’s executioner. Seemed he was hand-picked.

But then we entered a somewhat extended period in which others were rumored to be of interest and some owners — particularly Jerry Reinsdorf of the White Sox — did not seem all that enamored of Bud picking his successor, more or less. Because, after all, the commissioner works for the owners.

Now, however, it seems like that uncertain period is over:

Maybe it was due diligence (i.e. you gotta talk to multiple candidates) maybe it was optics (i.e. the owners didn’t want to appear to roll over for Selig’s choice) or maybe Manfred really has all of the support he needs and has had it for some time. But it sure sounds like he’s the next man for the job.

1. nottinghamforest12 - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Why not consider a black man for the position?

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Why not ….

JEETTTTEEERRRRR!

Problem solved.

The face of baseball remains the Face of Baseball for decades. Mike Lupica’s man crush gets requited with a yearly supply of $100 Jeter junk-lifting shorts. World is happy.

• kcfanatic - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Write it down, next commissioner of MLB…Pete Rose

2. tcostant - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Rob start reading up on the MASN dispute, because Bud is going to drop it right into your lap.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM

And Oakland, and the All-Star Game, and on day one, please do the right thing and give Galarraga credit for his perfect game. No, sorry but I won’t let it go.

3. bronco58lb - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM

What a surprise, another member of The Tribe.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM

He doesn’t look like he’s from Cleveland…

• SocraticGadfly - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

He’s Chief Wahoo, in costume!

4. friars1998 - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I watched him speak at the Tony Gwynn memorial at Petco. Something seemed off. Don’t want to be mean, but does he have a speech issue? He was stumbling and slurring his words quite a bit.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM

He was just drunk with power after the whole ARod “investigation”

5. paperlions - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM

The interview process was probably part due diligence and part reminder (assuming Manfred landed the job) to Manfred who he works for and that the job doesn’t usually come with the security Selig enjoyed.

6. trbmb - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I favor a dark horse, who given the results within his current position, will make Selig be missed deeply.

Gary Bettman, Imperial Commissioner, and prime candidate from the Salary Cap Brigade.

Please Stop laughing. He has already saddened one league.

• pauleee - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM

One league? Hasn’t he been commissioner of both the NBA and NHL?

• pauleee - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Oops! He was only senior vice-president of the NBA. My mistake.

He IS pretty sad though.

7. chill1184 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Will he kick out Fred Wilpon?

8. sportsfan18 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Mark Cuban shoulda tweaked all the MLB owners just for fun and publicly submitted his resume to be the next commissioner.

No, I’m not saying I want him or that he has a snowball’s chance in Hades, just for the entertainment value and as a dig for them not allowing him into their club.

I like lively entertaining things and that would have been fun, for like 4 or 5 days and then the hub bub would have died down. Would have been lot’s of articles written and we would have had fun on sites like these.

Now I would like to see him own a MLB team..

• slappymcknucklepunch - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I wonder how many of those Shark Tank investments paid off for him so far. Maybe he can
      just throw so much cash at Jeff Loria, that the little scumbag will have to sell.
      That way MLB owners all get their beaks wet on that filthy lucre.

win-win

9. whatacrocker - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Good to see they interviewed such a diverse array of middle-aged, white, male candidates.

10. jvalen13 - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I’d be OK with anyone who is not an owner. I could never believe Bud was impatial.

• jwbiii - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:48 PM

It doesn’t matter. The commissioner serves the interests of the owners and only the owners. The other stakeholders in the game, the players, the public, and the media have no say in the hiring or the firing of a commissioner.

11. renaado - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Even though, if Bud Selig is goin to be replaced… He will always be remembered for creatin the WBC, that alone from my standpoint, and to some… Is what made him a commissioner probably greater than the others, he should keep his head and spirit high, always… Cause of magnificent things he have done.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:09 PM

プロ野球 万歳!! Selig-san 万歳!!

• renaado - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I really have no idea what you meant by that… Aside from Selig.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Come on Renaado, I leave it up to you to give me some context to the Japanese
        league as you seem to be up to date on such things.

Really though, imho, I think you have added to the comments in a very good way.I have been following CC since early Shysterball.I have seen the commentors come and go on to be
        awesome like to name a very few:Old gator for literacy,paperlions for research,cur38 for beaver
        love,black sables and reflex because they care,historio for diversity(and reminding us we are
        sometimes craven),indaburg and raysfan for being informative on all things Rays,tbuckfutter
        for having EXACTLY my sense of humor and you always make me laugh( I can’t quit you).

Long story longer,after years of lurking I now feel that thier is a core of commentors on here
        who have a very good grasp of the teams they root for but also just a general love for the game itself.As I do…I am a Red Sox fan but over the years I stopped rooting for laundry and started watching other teams.Lo and behold it increased my enjoyment 30-fold.

We all skew different,but we all love the same thing.I am thrilled that the comment board is so diverse.

• renaado - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:45 AM

@slappymcknuclepunch… While I too may have some knowledge about Japanese Baseball might or probably on par with Yano here, he still has the most knowledge about the league cause he’s from over there… So for him givin us some ideas and knowledge about it especially the Darvish story one just a few page back is certainly a help.

It’s not just the NPB league I’m familiar at… But too also the KBO and the CPBL(Taiwan league)… Asian Baseball is the thing where I’m the most updated and dominant at, however I limit the conversation of it unless the topic is somewhat related to it or some commentators here brought it up. Just somewhat amazed though that there isn’t much Asian Baseball topic goin on here aside from the Luke Scott incident, cause plenty of weird things and stories worthy to read have happened this past few weeks… Especially at the KBO league.

12. disgracedfury - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Manfried is the only snakelike puppet who can be used like Selig was by his owners.

He is also good at throwing the players who made this sport worth money under the bus and lie about A-Rod.He would be perfect.

13. psly2124 - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Seriously he created the WBC and that makes him a great commissioner. The WBC is as useless tits on a bull . He oversaw the biggest scandal in sports history with 1/2 of players juicing. The cancellation of a World Series. A tie in an all star game. May go for as the worst commissioner.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM

“Seriously he created the WBC and that makes him a great commissioner”

Ah, Yes?

“The cancellation of a World Series.”

You’re joking?

“A tie in an all star game.”

So, any problem with that?

14. philliesblow - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Glad to see no mention of Dave Dombrowski.

How about former managing general partner of the Texas Rangers, and some other notable employment, GWB?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3189)