Roy Halladay really loves Chase Utley

Jul 22, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT

roy halladay long getty Getty Images

I am fascinated by Roy Halladay’s Twitter account. There’s nothing spectacular about it really — he’s a retired dude who likes to fish and play golf and stuff — but because I can’t think of any ballplayer’s whose on-field and off-field personas are more different.

On the field Halladay was like the Terminator. He was always business, always serious. While his arm may have given out, you feel like he could still go 12-8 each year based on his intensity alone. It carried over into interviews too. He was never mean, but there was not a lot of emotion there. It was business and logic and zero nonsense.His Twitter feed, in contrast, shows him to be rather funny. Occasionally goofy in a good way. He dabbles in observational comedy and stuff. It’s kind of neat.

Today, the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association gave out its team-by-team Heart & Hustle Awards. They’re voted on by alumni and active Major League players and is presented annually to active players who “demonstrate a passion for the game of baseball and best embodies the values, spirit and traditions of the game.” Chase Utley won it for Philly, and Halladay went with the heart, going on a multi-tweet endorsement of Utley as a professional and a human being.

I began to read it with some amusement but then I started to kind of love it, mostly because it was a mix of Mac’s letter to Chase on “Always Sunny” and the “I love you, man!” stage of a bender, only done stone-cold sober at 2pm on a Tuesday.

Ignore the typos and there/their/our/are level of word mixups. The man was on a roll here and likely typing on his phone:

Corny? I dunno. But that’s some heartfelt stuff right there. From a guy who, as a player at least, gave you the impression he could rip out your heart in a second if he wanted to. Maybe I’m being a softie this afternoon, but I sort of love it.

1. tbird05 - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Class act. Both of them. Glad to have seen them play, sad that they beat my team so often.

2. therealtrenches - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM

This is just so awesome….that is all there is to say.

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Dear Chase,
    I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you someday. It would be great to have a catch. I know I can’t throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed by my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about. And more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did. And I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I’m sure our relationship would be a real home run.
    Doc

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM

A twitter sonnet, titled: (B)romancing the (key)stone.

5. eagles512 - Jul 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

That’s great

6. Balladeer - Jul 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Love both these players. I miss Doc.

On an unrelated note, I was reading a Pro Football Talk article today for the first time ever (re: Tony Dungy’s Michael Sam comments), and I accidentally scrolled down to the comments, and oh my god. Words can’t describe what it’s like over there. It’s frightening.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jul 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM

It’s a whole other world over there, isn’t it? Especially compared to the discourse over here. They honestly considered disabling comments over there a few years ago because it was getting so bad. I gave up PFT after the Ravens Super Bowl, and I’m thankful I did.

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I think it’s fantastic that mouthbreathers can learn to type. Thanks, Obama! #publicschools

• Balladeer - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Yikes! Really? Did they do a post about how bad it was getting?

7. bfunk1978 - Jul 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Go home, Roy, you’re drunk!

8. theebbandflow - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Bless, Roy! As the consumate pro he must have had to totally shut out that sort of emotion to be the machine he was.

No wonder he’s chilled out now. Favourite moment was acknowleding zoowithroy almost as soon as he got on Twitter.

9. sfm073 - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I have a feeling that roy is referencing your boy Puig in this Craig.

10. stlouis1baseball - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Not drunk? You read these tweets and conclude he wasn’t drunk?
    I am guessing he just finished a round of golf and was tipping several back at that 19th hole.
    Of course, fishing and beer go hand-in-hand as well!

11. mikhelb - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM

When a writer had a column for Jeter it was in bad taste and creepy, when Halladay does it, it is awesome?

I loath your lack of congruence, it is great.

12. chaseutley - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Roy just wants to be like the rest of America.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS