Jul 22, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
The Phillies are going nowhere and need to rebuild and Cole Hamels is one of the best lefties around. That would normally amount to serious trade talks, but nope:
To date, Phillies telling other teams Cole Hamels is not available.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 22, 2014
I dunno. On the one hand you could probably get an awful lot for Hamels given the demand for frontline pitching. The Phillies could use a top position prospect to kickstart the rebuild and Hamels could probably get it for them. On the other hand, Hamels is still in the first half of a six-year, $144 million contract extension he signed in late July 2012. It’s not crazy to think that, if the Phillies can somehow rebuild quickly, Hamels could still contribute to the next good Phillies team while that deal is still going on.
I just don’t know how you can rebuild quickly without him.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)