Jul 22, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
The Phillies are going nowhere and need to rebuild and Cole Hamels is one of the best lefties around. That would normally amount to serious trade talks, but nope:
To date, Phillies telling other teams Cole Hamels is not available.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 22, 2014
I dunno. On the one hand you could probably get an awful lot for Hamels given the demand for frontline pitching. The Phillies could use a top position prospect to kickstart the rebuild and Hamels could probably get it for them. On the other hand, Hamels is still in the first half of a six-year, $144 million contract extension he signed in late July 2012. It’s not crazy to think that, if the Phillies can somehow rebuild quickly, Hamels could still contribute to the next good Phillies team while that deal is still going on.
I just don’t know how you can rebuild quickly without him.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)