Jul 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
UPDATE: Sure enough, the Rockies have now placed Tulowitzki on the disabled list with a left hip flexor strain.
Troy Tulowitzki exited Saturday’s game with what the Rockies called a “cramp” in his quadriceps, but now the star shortstop is out of the lineup tonight for the third consecutive game and it’s clear the injury is more serious.
Tulowitzki has a long injury history, so this naturally leads to speculation that the Rockies are trying to downplay his current malady ahead of a potential trade. Or maybe he’s just not healing as quickly as they hoped and it’ll ultimately prove to be a minor issue.
Tulowitzki has played 91 of the Rockies’ first 99 games while leading the league in batting average (.340), on-base percentage (.432), and slugging percentage (.603). As usual Coors Field has been a huge help, as he’s posted a ridiculous 1.246 OPS at home compared to a still-good-but-not-amazing .811 OPS on the road.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)