Jul 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Sure enough, the Rockies have now placed Tulowitzki on the disabled list with a left hip flexor strain.
Troy Tulowitzki exited Saturday’s game with what the Rockies called a “cramp” in his quadriceps, but now the star shortstop is out of the lineup tonight for the third consecutive game and it’s clear the injury is more serious.
Tulowitzki has a long injury history, so this naturally leads to speculation that the Rockies are trying to downplay his current malady ahead of a potential trade. Or maybe he’s just not healing as quickly as they hoped and it’ll ultimately prove to be a minor issue.
Tulowitzki has played 91 of the Rockies’ first 99 games while leading the league in batting average (.340), on-base percentage (.432), and slugging percentage (.603). As usual Coors Field has been a huge help, as he’s posted a ridiculous 1.246 OPS at home compared to a still-good-but-not-amazing .811 OPS on the road.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)