Jul 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Sure enough, the Rockies have now placed Tulowitzki on the disabled list with a left hip flexor strain.
Troy Tulowitzki exited Saturday’s game with what the Rockies called a “cramp” in his quadriceps, but now the star shortstop is out of the lineup tonight for the third consecutive game and it’s clear the injury is more serious.
Tulowitzki has a long injury history, so this naturally leads to speculation that the Rockies are trying to downplay his current malady ahead of a potential trade. Or maybe he’s just not healing as quickly as they hoped and it’ll ultimately prove to be a minor issue.
Tulowitzki has played 91 of the Rockies’ first 99 games while leading the league in batting average (.340), on-base percentage (.432), and slugging percentage (.603). As usual Coors Field has been a huge help, as he’s posted a ridiculous 1.246 OPS at home compared to a still-good-but-not-amazing .811 OPS on the road.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)