Jul 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: Sure enough, the Rockies have now placed Tulowitzki on the disabled list with a left hip flexor strain.
Troy Tulowitzki exited Saturday’s game with what the Rockies called a “cramp” in his quadriceps, but now the star shortstop is out of the lineup tonight for the third consecutive game and it’s clear the injury is more serious.
Tulowitzki has a long injury history, so this naturally leads to speculation that the Rockies are trying to downplay his current malady ahead of a potential trade. Or maybe he’s just not healing as quickly as they hoped and it’ll ultimately prove to be a minor issue.
Tulowitzki has played 91 of the Rockies’ first 99 games while leading the league in batting average (.340), on-base percentage (.432), and slugging percentage (.603). As usual Coors Field has been a huge help, as he’s posted a ridiculous 1.246 OPS at home compared to a still-good-but-not-amazing .811 OPS on the road.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)