Jul 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
After more than a year of frequent trade rumors the Padres have finally dealt Chase Headley, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re sending the 30-year-old impending free agent third baseman to the Yankees.
Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Padres will receive infielder Yangervis Solarte and right-hander Rafael De Paula in exchange for Headley. Solarte was signed as a minor-league free agent and De Paula is a 23-year-old Single-A pitcher who’s not considered a top prospect (although he does have a big strikeout rate).
Two seasons ago Headley smacked 31 homers, led the league in RBIs, and finished fifth in the MVP balloting, but his production plummeted last season and this year he’s been mostly injured and ineffective while hitting ..229 with seven homers and a .651 OPS in 77 games. However, he’s shown some signs of life this month and given the minimal talent price tag the Yankees aren’t taking much of a risk in acquiring him when the in-house alternatives for them at third base were guys like Solarte and Zelous Wheeler.
San Diego missed an opportunity to cash in Headley for huge value following the 2012 season and now they’re simply getting a modest return for him instead of letting him walk for nothing as a free agent in three months. Keeping him and then making him a qualifying offer was another option for the Padres and would have fetched them a draft pick if he signed elsewhere, but clearly they didn’t want to risk Headley simply accepting a one-year, $14 million deal to return in 2015. New York is not eligible to make him a qualifying offer.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)