Cameron Maybin suspended for 25 games for amphetamines

Jul 23, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT

cameron maybin getty Getty Images

Well, now we know why Jeff Francoeur got called up:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Diego Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin has received a 25-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

The suspension of Maybin is effective immediately.

Maybin is hitting .247/.286/.368 in 62 games. Which made him the third best hitter on the team as far as OPS+ goes. If that’s enhanced performance I’d hate to see the real McCoy.

In jokes, we will also accept:

1. whiskey4breakfast - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Looks like Cameron Maybin picked the wrong week to not quit taking amphetamines.

• mazblast - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Nice riff on “Airplane!”

2. mt10425 - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM

He was only trying to play three games in a row. Is that so bad? We need a GM with stones, maybe Ng. If Maybe wasn’t so young and had potential, he’d be the next trade.

• bronco58lb - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Maybin isn’t a commodity anymore. He is overpaid too. He is set to make $15.2 million in 2015 and 2016.

3. wogggs - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM

“Surely anyone required to stay awake during Padres’ games deserves a therapeutic exemption.” Classic… and I say that as a Padres fan.

• mazblast - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Great. I’m making my first visit to Petco next homestand. I’ll pack some amphetamines in my bag.

• mazblast - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM

And don’t call me Shirley.

4. chargrz - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Not like they were helping him. He SUCKS! with or without.

5. Caught Looking - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM

You’re missing the full story.

Maybin released a statement through the MLBPA:

“I have been undergoing treatment for several years for a medical condition, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), for which I previously had a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). Unfortunately, in my attempts to switch back to a medicine that had been previously ok’d, I neglected to follow all the rules and as a result I tested positive. I want to assure everyone that this was a genuine effort to treat my condition and I was not trying in any way to gain an advantage in my baseball career. I understand that I must accept responsibility for this mistake and I will take my punishment and will not challenge my suspension. I apologize to my family, friends, fans, teammates, and the entire Padres organization. I look forward to returning to the field and contributing to the success of my Club.”

• chargrz - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I’ll believe that when my Zhit turns purple and smells like Rainbow Sherbert.

• gloccamorra - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Would it be that hard for a reporter to find out about the exemptions? If he announces those circumstances and they’re not true, he’s toast. The MLB drug testing regiment would have no reason to protect his confidentiality once he makes an announcement. Making stuff up like that would get writers with legal chops like that barracuda barrister Calcaterra jump all over it, and him.

• NatsLady - Jul 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Glad he still has an agent to write that stuff for him.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Did he borrow that statement from the NFLPA?

6. miguelcairo - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM

He “maybin” a credible ballplayer at one point.

7. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:25 PM

What the hell is up with MLB guys using these kind of drugs?

• gloccamorra - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Doctors find “conditions” that can be “treated” with regular “medications”. Once they get you, and you’re over 60, they’ll have you taking those medications “for the rest of your life”.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2525)