Jul 23, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Well, now we know why Jeff Francoeur got called up:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Diego Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin has received a 25-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The suspension of Maybin is effective immediately.
Maybin is hitting .247/.286/.368 in 62 games. Which made him the third best hitter on the team as far as OPS+ goes. If that’s enhanced performance I’d hate to see the real McCoy.
In jokes, we will also accept:
@craigcalcaterra Surely anyone required to stay awake during Padres’ games deserves a therapeutic exemption.
— ursus arctos (@ursus_arctos59) July 23, 2014
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)