Jul 23, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Well, now we know why Jeff Francoeur got called up:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that San Diego Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin has received a 25-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The suspension of Maybin is effective immediately.
Maybin is hitting .247/.286/.368 in 62 games. Which made him the third best hitter on the team as far as OPS+ goes. If that’s enhanced performance I’d hate to see the real McCoy.
In jokes, we will also accept:
@craigcalcaterra Surely anyone required to stay awake during Padres’ games deserves a therapeutic exemption.
— ursus arctos (@ursus_arctos59) July 23, 2014
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)