Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes

Jul 23, 2014, 8:55 AM EST

Which player holds the record for the fastest time in becoming a True Yankee? Gotta figure Chase Headley is in that conversation.

Headley was acquired from the Padres yesterday, hopped on a flight to New York and landed at LaGuardia at 6:30pm. The Yankees-Rangers game started at 7:05 and Headley entered the game as a pinch hitter for Zealous Wheeler in the bottom of the eighth. Because the game went 14 innings he actually got four at bats. The first three were uneventful — a strikeout, a ground out and then a grounder into a fielder’s choice. But then in the 14th, with two men on in a 1-1 game, he did this:

A walkoff single for your new team mere hours after joining them is pretty darn special. Welcome to New York, Chase.

1. sportsfan18 - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

come on, we all know that was actually jeter with a headley uni on…

2. Kevin S. - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Chase Whitley starts it. Chase Headley ends it. Chase Utley needs to join the party.

3. [citation needed] fka COPO - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM

• Kevin S. - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I miss FJM. :(

4. uyf1950 - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Good that Headley got that first RBI for the Yankees out of the way in his first game. Even better that it was a walk off. Considering the Yankees had several opportunities late in the game and in extra inning to win it, it was nice to see Headley come through.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM

He’s very talented, even if he hadn’t been playing well the last year or so. I think the Yankees got a steal in all honesty. Even if he’s average he’ll make the team better.

5. rbj1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Some of us with day jobs had to go to bed after 12 innings of nothing.

• pete2112 - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I know. No kidding, huh? I’m lucky if I make it to the 8th inning most nights.

Good for Headley though. Great way to start with the team.

• gloccamorra - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Good thing it wasn’t a road game with a West Coast team. OTOH, you might have watched the winning hit with your morning coffee.

6. paperlions - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I’m not a Yankee fan at all….but this is just a cool story. No matter what else happens while he is in NY or in the rest of his career, in 20 years, he’ll remember that walk-off in his first game with a new team and it’ll still be an awesome memory.

7. doctorfootball - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Paul O’Neill called it when Headley came into the game in the 8th inning. Said he’d be get the big hit to win the game

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM

A YES broadcaster supported a move made by the front office?

And they’re usually so reflexively critical.

• pete2112 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

@18thstreet

You sure are one cynical dude, and I thought I was bad. Ha…

If that had come from Michael Kay, I would totally agree with you, but Paul O’Neill doesn’t exactly go out of his way to be pro-Yes/Yankees. I think he calls it the way he see’s it.

• ahrmon - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM

YES broadcasters are actually much more critical of the home team than most other team-owned networks (NESN, looking in your direction). Yeah, Michael Kay is excruciating to listen to, but O’Neil/Cone/et al are actually pretty good.

Now, Ma and Pa Yankee, that’s just a whole other thing…

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I stand corrected.

8. icanspeel - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM

As a Padres fan I wish Headley the best and hope he does well. He is a solid player, but didn’t fit well with the Padres since they needed him to be more than what he was.

• pete2112 - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM

As a Yankees fan, good luck with Yangervis Solarte. He had a great April and showed he could hit MLB pitching, so I’m hoping he can turn into a full time player at some point for the Padres. If anything, he’ll certainly have nicer weather to play in.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM

As a Red Sox fan, to hell with you all.

I kid, I kid.

• pete2112 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM

lol… As a fan of a team in the AL east, any team not in the AL east can go to hell.

9. hushbrother - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Is Zealous Wheeler an actual name?

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Yes, but it is spelled Zelous.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Dude just because he is an mlb player doesn’t mean you need to be zealous of him. Zealousy is not a good trait

• ahrmon - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

‘Cause I’m zealous, zealous, again
      Thought it time I let you in
      Yeah, I’m zealous, zealous, again
      Got no time, baby

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Hey, Zealousy.

10. bigmeechy74 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Ray Charles could see this coming. Now that they have the AL Cy young winner in brandon mccarthy and league mvp chase headley it’s pretty much a given they will be in the world series. I can’t wait to hear the announcers talk about derek jeter all through the playoffs. It won’t get old at all. It also helps that they have a better rotation than the 90’s braves. Whitley-phelps-mccarthy-greene-kuroda are MUCH better than glavine-maddux-smoltz. The yankees have discovered The key to success. Never develop anyone remotely decent through the minors, fill the team with guys in their mid 30s well past their prime, shrug off injuries, sign cast offs, and win!

• pete2112 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM

This has to be a joke and I’m just falling for it, I hope….Have you watched a single Yankees game this season? You do realize they play horrible defense, have a sputtering offense, too much age and a pitching staff that could implode on any given day.

As said in Rambo, It’s over Johnny. It’s over!

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM

yeah that horrible defense really seems to matter a lot. Teams are scoring so many runs against them. Also of course the AL east is horrible all of a sudden so they can still be in contention

• gloccamorra - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:51 AM

They have a winning record with Girardi casting spells of some sort, and the division is up for grabs. A couple more cast-offs might just put them over the top!

• pete2112 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Maybe it’s the heat but I just can’t tell if you’re serious or not. Maybe we both have heat stroke??

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I’m half joking and half serious. Of course they aren’t that good, but they will be good anyway because they are the yankees

• ahrmon - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM

That’s some good sarcasm, Lou.

11. sd619tripleog - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Being a Padres fan really blows, seriously

• gloccamorra - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Nah. Petco seats are great, the weather is great, the food choices are terrific, and the top-five pitching keeps them in every game. It’s not like the old days when they lost 100 games every year and were an embarrassment. If they beat the Dodgers in the season series and aggravate Giants fans, Padres fans are satisfied.

• sd619tripleog - Jul 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Yea, being a San Diegan is great but if I want to be entertained by a baseball game on tv, I’ll watch a team worthwhile. I love my home teams, there just isnt any real strategy in a padres game besides their pitching. Forget any type of situational clutch hitting. They’re just not a fun team to follow throughout the season, I tried. I want a Pennant in San Diego…lol

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4404)