Jul 23, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Jacob deGrom had to work his butt off to get where he is. A converted shortstop, he has climbed through the Mets system for the past three seasons, pitching well at times, but never getting the press or the push that his better-pedigreed colleagues like Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler andNoah Syndergaard have received. And for good reason, of course. His stuff is not as noteworthy. He’s already 26. It’s not like he had “superstar” stamped on his forehead.
But whatever his promise is and whatever his future holds, his recent performance has been quite a thing. Last night he allowed one run in seven innings while striking out seven in beating the Mariners. Over his last six starts he’s 4-1 with a 1.59 ERA. He’s 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA over his past three, walking three and striking out 26 in those three games. Last night he was particularly dominant, dialing it up to a consistent 94 m.p.h. and getting 14 swings-and-misses from M’s batters.
Is this indicative of what he’ll always do? Doubtful. But he’s been quite a revelation for the Mets this season. And just the latest bit of evidence that the Mets’ future is looking pretty bright.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)