Jul 23, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
Jacob deGrom had to work his butt off to get where he is. A converted shortstop, he has climbed through the Mets system for the past three seasons, pitching well at times, but never getting the press or the push that his better-pedigreed colleagues like Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler andNoah Syndergaard have received. And for good reason, of course. His stuff is not as noteworthy. He’s already 26. It’s not like he had “superstar” stamped on his forehead.
But whatever his promise is and whatever his future holds, his recent performance has been quite a thing. Last night he allowed one run in seven innings while striking out seven in beating the Mariners. Over his last six starts he’s 4-1 with a 1.59 ERA. He’s 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA over his past three, walking three and striking out 26 in those three games. Last night he was particularly dominant, dialing it up to a consistent 94 m.p.h. and getting 14 swings-and-misses from M’s batters.
Is this indicative of what he’ll always do? Doubtful. But he’s been quite a revelation for the Mets this season. And just the latest bit of evidence that the Mets’ future is looking pretty bright.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (329)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)