Jul 23, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
After back-to-back terrible seasons Jeff Francoeur’s chances of returning to the majors looked so bleak that last month he decided to take up pitching at Triple-A for the Padres’ affiliate, but now San Diego is actually calling him up and presumably he’ll mostly serve as an outfielder.
Francoeur made seven pitching appearances at Triple-A, all as a reliever, posting a 4.26 ERA and 4/3 K/BB ratio in 6.1 innings.
As an outfielder he hit .294 with 15 homers and a .790 OPS, which looks decent until you consider that the average hitter in the Pacific Coast League has a .768 OPS. So he’s been slightly above average offensively, with his usual horrendous 82/18 K/BB ratio. In the majors he’s hit .226 with a .626 OPS in 229 games since 2012.
San Diego is in full-on sell mode, parting ways with Huston Street and Chase Headley already and likely moving Chris Denorfia next, but the 30-year-old Francoeur just isn’t a big league-caliber player at this point. Helluva guy, though, and I suppose if you’re going to be a horrible team with a gutted roster in the second half you might as well have some nice guys in the clubhouse.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)