Jul 23, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
After back-to-back terrible seasons Jeff Francoeur’s chances of returning to the majors looked so bleak that last month he decided to take up pitching at Triple-A for the Padres’ affiliate, but now San Diego is actually calling him up and presumably he’ll mostly serve as an outfielder.
Francoeur made seven pitching appearances at Triple-A, all as a reliever, posting a 4.26 ERA and 4/3 K/BB ratio in 6.1 innings.
As an outfielder he hit .294 with 15 homers and a .790 OPS, which looks decent until you consider that the average hitter in the Pacific Coast League has a .768 OPS. So he’s been slightly above average offensively, with his usual horrendous 82/18 K/BB ratio. In the majors he’s hit .226 with a .626 OPS in 229 games since 2012.
San Diego is in full-on sell mode, parting ways with Huston Street and Chase Headley already and likely moving Chris Denorfia next, but the 30-year-old Francoeur just isn’t a big league-caliber player at this point. Helluva guy, though, and I suppose if you’re going to be a horrible team with a gutted roster in the second half you might as well have some nice guys in the clubhouse.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)