Jul 23, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Last month Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported that the Marlins almost traded for A’s reliever Jim Johnson before instead swinging a deal for Pirates reliever Bryan Morris. But apparently Miami is still interested in Johnson.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that the A’s have talked to the Marlins about trading Johnson and potentially getting back minor leaguer Adam Conley, a 2011 second-round draft pick with a 6.00 ERA at Triple-A.
Oakland’s move to acquire Johnson and his $10 million salary from Baltimore never made a ton of sense this offseason and it’s worked out much worse than expected, as he almost immediately lost the closer gig and has a 6.25 ERA with 23 walks in 40 innings.
He saved 50-plus games in both 2012 and 2013, so as bad as Johnson has looked this season he’s a reasonable enough buy-low bounceback target for the Marlins and perhaps a league switch could help him out with two months remaining until free agency.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 0
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 60
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)