Jul 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that at least a handful of teams are interested in Bastardo and have been scouting the left-hander. Last night manager Ryne Sandberg was full of praise for the setup man when speaking to the media, to the point Salisbury noted that “it almost sounded like a sales pitch” to suitors.
Durability and control have been issues for Bastardo over the years, but there’s no denying his ability to dominate. He has a 3.58 ERA and 296 strikeouts in 239 career innings, including a 3.27 ERA and 53 strikeouts in 44 innings this season.
Bastardo is also under team control for 2015 via arbitration, so the Phillies should be able to get more value for him than a typical two-month rental.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)