Jul 23, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that at least a handful of teams are interested in Bastardo and have been scouting the left-hander. Last night manager Ryne Sandberg was full of praise for the setup man when speaking to the media, to the point Salisbury noted that “it almost sounded like a sales pitch” to suitors.
Durability and control have been issues for Bastardo over the years, but there’s no denying his ability to dominate. He has a 3.58 ERA and 296 strikeouts in 239 career innings, including a 3.27 ERA and 53 strikeouts in 44 innings this season.
Bastardo is also under team control for 2015 via arbitration, so the Phillies should be able to get more value for him than a typical two-month rental.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 51
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)